Air purifiers, filters, & dehumidifiers

Thanks Mark, I’ll pass this onto the content producer for the next test to make sure they are included as a filter.

4 Likes

Oh, you also asked if there are any other dehumidifers that have HEPA filters. I went back a couple of projects - Phillips DE5205 claims to have one. Plenty of “ion filters”, “nano-silver”, “carbon mesh” and “plastic mesh”, but not many HEPA.

4 Likes

Considering the claims made by manufacturers as compared to the University of Melbourne article linked by @Hillsgal perhaps a ‘Smoke and Mirrors’ filter could be added that filters out all of the questionable ‘filters’ in one tick?

6 Likes

Hmmm, some of the “high end products” are recommended when they don’t add unproven/untested/dangerous technologies. The Australian Inovair models are expensive but minimise plastics (which I’ve been told by an impacted user can off-gas) by using metal construction. The Inovair filters are also large, particularly by comparison the carbon filter, requiring less frequent replacement (and costs for filters add up, like printer ink becoming a key cost over the lifetime of the appliance). The carbon filter removes more than odors, including VOCs and other toxic chemicals which are a health hazard (Inovair’s is more effective than most, here’s their long list of what they claim it removes INOVA Air Purifiers | What Pollutants Can Be Removed?).

2 Likes

Thinking about getting a dehumidifier but confused. Reading thru the article “ dehumidifier, humidifier & air purifier- what’s the difference,” it seems like I would need all three. Would I be correct in assuming this?

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @Deb5
Your question had been moved to the current open topic. Typically /followed by those most interested or knowledgeable and likely to respond.

P.S.
We’ve two dehumidifiers. Different brands and models.
I found the Choice guides very useful in reading the latest reviews. They may help clarify the differences.
https://www.choice.com.au/home-and-living/cooling/air-purifiers/buying-guides/air-purifiers
https://www.choice.com.au/home-and-living/cooling/dehumidifier/buying-guides/dehumidifiers
https://www.choice.com.au/home-and-living/cooling/dehumidifier/buying-guides/humidifiers

Dehumidifiers and humidifiers include some form of filtering. It may meet your needs without the added cost of a higher standard of “purification”.
There’s multiple standards and levels of performance for air purification. Some of us are happy with a lesser standard while others ask for near to hospital grade isolation ward outcomes. The greater your expectation and higher the standards the more expensive the solutions.

Depending on your home and location one is most likely in Australia to only need a dehumidifier (frequent dampness and high humidity) or a humidifier (most often excessively dry air).

P.S.
Both our dehumidifiers were purchased using the Choice reviews. They have HEPA rated filters. We live in a relatively open house with a rural/forested environment, sub-tropical and coastal. What’s practical will differ.

2 Likes

Hi
After a lot of research I am wondering if air purifiers by their very action would move dog hair around in the air and if I want a purifier that col look acts (collects) dog hair what would be the best choice?

Hi @Catttt, welcome. Your post has been moved to an existing discussion where you may find some of the answers in the preceding posts and links suggested.

Our experience of dog hairs is they tend to stick to nearly everything, or become fluff balls that tend to accumulate under furniture.

Choice has useful advice on vacuum cleaners best suited to pet hair. Full product reviews are member only.

1 Like

I don’t think an air purifier will be very efficient at removing dog hair from the house. It will remove any hair that is already airborne nearby but the air circulation is not strong enough to make hair airborne so it will be sucked up like in a vacuum cleaner. Foot traffic near the purifier would raise some but not much. I think you would get a cleaner spot close to the machine and the rest of the room will be unaffected.

3 Likes

My Samsung air purifier is due a HEPA filter replacement and as we all know the official ones are very expensive (and I need two!) however I have seen compatible ones advertised on Woolworths Online of all places at half the price that specify their compatibility with Samsung models. Any experience with these or advice about risks? Perhaps I should just go with the expensive one?

1 Like

Wikipedia has a detailed explanation of what a HEPA standard filter is. The product needs to be manufactured and meet one of the recognised standards. As noted in the link simply saying a filter is a HEPA product many be insufficient without a supporting standard and testing.

Filter media is a mass produced product. It’s possible some alternative replacement filters will use the same grade or source of filter media as the OEM. It’s also possible the alternatives may be a lesser grade (if not standards tested) or a lower capacity media. IE holds less volume of particulates before clogging or has a higher resistance to air flow when compared to the OEM filter.

Look for products that comply with one of the recognised supporting test standards and reliable accreditation.

4 Likes