Air Fryer Review vs Ovens

This model came with a very large sheet with pictures which do NOT explain step by step instructions for beginners. Even the inadequate cook book is very basic and has NO explanations at all for a person with no knowledge about an AF.
This product is made in China. It is the responsibility of our buyers when they go to these countries to demand adequate instructions and quality of goods. Something which is lacking with Australian buyers in all fields of buying and product quality. It is basic quality checking that our buyers are lacking in.

1 Like

I once thought that we were all but uniquely subject to this, but each time I visit the USA I see the trend to cartoons that leave more to the imagination than not has gone global.

1 Like

Some tips for air frying to the max. If you use an air fryer, have you tried and of these?

6 Likes

I think a lot of the newer model air fryers are more like a conventional mini oven and are changing from the usual barrel shaped design .

They seem to offer more more space for cooking food and seem to be more versatile . Am thinking of purchasing one of this design as I use an air type fryer daily .

6 Likes

I noted there is a broad range of styles and choices. Curiosity suggests we are at the end of a long food chain. $399 for the Phillips Turbostar at the GoodGuys, but for the US model, US$219 at Amazon.

Closer to home even Breville have repackaged the humble $99 Toaster-oven-grill combo as a Smart-oven-air-frier, $499 at:

3 Likes

These suggest air fryers might evolve to a full on fan forced oven :wink:

4 Likes

Phil when I started to use the air fryer my gas bill ,my oven is a fan forced gas , dropped dramatically .Electricity bill had minor rise . :wink:

7 Likes

That would be expected, excepting the oven was there while an air fryer is maybe $300 expense not made, and covers the oven for a few uses? Add PV for an electric oven (at least for lunch in much of the country, not so much in Melbourne’s normal overcast days) and the equation changes.

An air fryer should be lots faster though.

5 Likes

Our air fryer cooks or heats items in less time than our fan forced electric oven takes to even reach the selected temperature, so it obviously uses way less power.

3 Likes

I’m looking to buy an air fryer. My daughter has a Ninja Air fryer, and loves it,
they seem to have excellent reviews, but were not included in you latest review, was there a reason?

1 Like

Choice buys most products to test at retail so there is a budgetary constraint. Those included are usually chosen based on market share, eg what consumers are buying and general availability. Sometimes a product will just miss out being included. Sometimes they know a product is discontinued and omit it, or is being upgraded and cannot get the newest one to meet publication deadlines.

Although it could be a while for an update, you could lodge your interest on the request a test on this web page, as well as seeing what tests are coming in the near future.

3 Likes

If you (or your daughter) want to post a review of the Ninja Air Fryer in the community, you are more than welcome. While Choice doesn’t have the resources to test every product on sale, they do like consumers providing information on a product which sits outside their tests, such as its cost, performance, good and bad things about it etc. Such is useful information to other consumers also contemplating a purchase.

3 Likes

Thanks for the explanation Phil. When I did some research I realised she has the multi cooker, which is an air fryer, pressure cooker and slow cooker, which you reviewed in as a multi-cooker. I am looking for a more energy efficient alternative to always using my big wall oven, now there are only my husband and I at home. I have a toaster oven, but it needs replacing and it is probably too small and I am concerned gets too hot to do much other than grill, or toast. I am considering an upgrade, but wondered if an air fryer would be an alternative and I can use the grill in my big oven. Anyone have thoughts about the best way to go?

3 Likes

Whilst at a nearby Coles yesterday, I saw these air fryers on display in the special buys section for $99.99 each.

If only we had some spare space in the kitchen.

I hear ya. I gave up bench space for a mini dishwasher. No room for much else.

My Philips air fryer bakes my homemade bread perfectly.

2 Likes

Our air fryer review has been updated for 2022. Here’s a few models we think are best avoided:

3 Likes

I have been considering a member review on the [not included in the test] Ninja Foodi XL Pro Air Fryer Oven DT-200. I bought one on sale ($350) at Costco a few weeks ago. It is a learning experience because it is neither an oven nor an air fryer, per se.

Still a work in progress but

• Raw chips have been pretty ordinary so far with the best effort still short of ‘almost as good’ as baking. Our point of reference is our excellent deep fried chips, soaked->boil->dry->deep fry (150)->freeze->deep fry (180) so this is not good. So far only tried slight variations on the Ninja ‘recipe’ of soak 30 minutes->dry->air fry 22 min. A work in progress.
  • Have not tried frozen chips
  • Everything (except chips, ie frozen pizzas, breaded chicken (kyivs and similar)) has come out near perfect and deliciously crispy
  • Recipes/directions fan oven time+temp is too much and air fryer time+temp too little, and few explicit guidelines so it is a guess where in the middle. On balance watching works and it responds very quickly to changes of temp, a significant plus in learning its foibles. It is faster (sometimes much faster) than a fan oven but slower than an air fryer.

Many online reviews state it is difficult to clean, some state it is easy to clean. The whole oven was easy to clean until I cooked a pork belly. The greases from the pork belly demonstrated beyond a doubt it is not difficult to clean, it is impossible to clean in a practical sense. It is a combination of the surface coating, the grill of the fan, and that the rear is not flat across from side to side. I gave up. The removable parts are easy, the rest is in the ‘why would they build it like this with this coating’ category.

BTW the pork belly cooked brilliantly well and I am a happy owner, resigned to not looking at the oven’s interior rear walls that are covered in streaks of hard baked on grease.

I would recommend this as a 10/10 if not for the misery trying to (and failing to) clean it. And for the advice givers many things including oven cleaner have been tried, none cutting through the grease and some discolouring the interior finish. One has to know when to fold and just roll with it :wink:

edit: the top of the unit, including the top edge of the door gets Very hot. One can burn oneself if not attentive, especially on the top of the door when it is opened. The sides and door handle lull one because they remain pleasantly cool.

7 Likes

Another plus is that it doesn’t heat up the kitchen as much in summer!

2 Likes

Air frying reviews mention most are all hard to clean up none seem to be easy especially the element. It seems a lucky dip to get what one wants from something will clearly not get regarding the way it cooks and including cleaning.