Air conditioner review

I have been reading Choice’s articles on split, wall-hung units vs ducted. Overalls, which would be the less expensive of the two in a single-level weatherboard house with enough ceiling space?

2 Likes

You can only discover that by getting quotes and an entry ducted system could be cheaper than a top end split, for example. I would recommend against a wall (box) unit because they are cheap but also noisy, usually only powerful enough for one room, and are not always amenable to being fitted excepting in a window.

As a general statement if the house layout is open enough so a small number of split systems can heat and cool the entire house they will usually be less costly to install, and because one can selectively turn them on/off rather than just zoning ducted flow, they should be cheaper to operate.

I am assuming you have, but in case you might not have, I recommend you read this previously posted article. It is a good starter. While there are some generalisations the relative costs are probably close enough.

I have a 9.4kw and a 3.5kw Daikin split in a floor plan where they handle a large open space and 4 rooms plus bath and ensuite. All up costs pre-COVID were about $6,200.

3 Likes

Thank you, PhilT

3 Likes

Hello All
First time here - in the 2023 articles about air conditioners, reference is made to in-wall/window units as being a bit less efficient but good for renters. We rent.
However, the reviews don’t mention this kind of unit - only split systems. Is there a review of integrated units in wall installation?
We have existing old cooling-only units in the house and we can change them for newer, better, bigger reverse cycle units with remote controller. The landlord will let us install new ones but doesn’t want a separate split system installed in another place in the room.
We don’t want to have to remove the old units and fill the holes in the wall - brick building, plaster inside, painting etc.

2 Likes

An interesting situation that may come up more than expected. Unfortunately the short answer seems ‘no’.

I suspect it is because of comparatively low volume and that replacing wall units in rental properties is a niche experience, not mainstream, and most renters are forced to use portable units if there is nothing permanently installed. Owner occupiers have far more flexibility and seem to be going for splits unless the budgets won’t allow it, or they too have an older box/window unit in a wall they just want to replace.

There is a form on the choice website where a direct request can be made or you could post in the Community Request A Test category for consideration.

Although anecdotal productreview has some posts that might be helpful. Likewise a search on ‘window box air conditioners australia’ will return a number of hits, although none being rigorous tests or comparisons, just anecdotal consumer comments and marketing pages.

2 Likes

Understandable. We’ve had Kelvinator and LG box units in the past. How close their latest models match the ones we purchased all those years past? We’d stay with the better know brands for replacements. Definitely RC while a remote is nice to have. Especially if it comes with a clock and timer to turn on or off in advance.

Our one caution with any brand is the outdoor side of the box - radiator panel fins can corrode rapidly in humid environments. LG upgraded to a gold coloured plating which works for them. All box units can be noisy relative to a split. The differences in efficiency are not as great as one might expect. The box units are in our estimation less able to blow as strongly as a split. Due mostly to the more compact box form and smaller fan? Ideally paired with a ceiling fan or floor standing pedestal fan to move the air around the room.

2 Likes

thanks for the comments - I’ll look up the form on the website. If ~30+% of people are renting there might be more demand than expected, for this and other home improvements, suitable for renting.

2 Likes

That could be the case but would the tenant or owner usually be the buyer? The tenant wants efficient and good and possibly cheap (many leases are shorter term than the life of the unit so it might be a donation to the owner?) but the owner probably only wants cheap, making a smaller market for tenants buying A/C than the number of renters, not considering other issues such as whether they have A/C (and what type), evap systems, or nothing for cooling.

Maybe you can make a point that it could be more relevant than it first appears.

Thanks for those comments. Good tip about the exterior components but how would i know with some tests. Even a choice review doesn’t comment on the durability of the outside bits. Have to rely on the 5 or 6yr warranty I suppose and have them assessed before it runs out.
I’ve had a recommendation for Gree units - third largest manufacturer in the country, I’m told. They look good on paper. They have a timer and remote - also wifi to an App on a phone.

It’s not traditional for renters to install fixed or semi-fixed items but while rentals are hard to find I wonder if people with stay put and try and improve.
In your own place, you wouldn’t upgrade the air-con for ~$1500 -2500 expecting it to improve the resale value, maybe years down the track - you’d do it to improve your comfort, running costs, carbon footprint etc. Only worth it with a long lease though.
Renters can ask the landlord for improvements but could consider having it done yourself, for your own benefit.

Gree AC are based in China, and manufacture in a number of countries. Includes Vietnam, Pakistan and Brazil. Not in Australia though.

Note Gree manufacture split systems and other configurations. The brand has not been included in the 2023 update to the Choice AC reviews. Possibly because Choice looks to the popularity of brands in deciding which to review. Gree may or may not be a great product. One would need to research the brand and the particular models required, best with owners whose products have been in service for some time.

https://www.choice.com.au/home-and-living/cooling/air-conditioners/review-and-compare/large-air-conditioners

1 Like

I have been quoted on a ducted Mitsubishi 12.5 Kw for 6 rooms incl 3 that are open-plan. does this sound reasonable?

I wish the a/c companies would get their shit together and create (again) a portable split which does comply with regs.

It’s a significant investment for a home. There are many home details and technical considerations for a reliable design assessment. There are independent HVAC consulting services which for a fee would provide a report and specification for your needs.

The expertise of a supplier installer and their approach in preparing a quote will vary. Some may rely more on copying what they always do rather than a detailed design assessment.

We’d obtain more than one quote for such an expensive decision. In addition it’s important to research the businesses looking in particular for dis-satisfied customer reviews and negative commentary. If possible speaking to other satisfied customers of a business can be reassuring. Purchasing from a well established business with a reliable reputation can eliminate poor choices.

The best guidance may come from talking to owners of ducted systems installed in a home very much the same as yours. Is your home insulated to the same standard? What size and type of ducting is installed? How powerful is the system and number if AC units? What are the Zone control options?

Comfort levels are also a personal preference with some of us wanting more heat or cooling than others. A 1C difference can add or save 5-10% in running costs. The climate zone your home falls under, size of home and type of home construction will have a significant influence on the design features and sizing appropriate for your system. An under performing ducted system will be expensive to rectify.

1 Like

As @mark_m posted the capacity required depends on the structure as well as the locale. What is enough in Brissie is different to what is enough in Melbourne. Some use the size based on standard formulas and some actually know their business. The latter start with the formula and then explain why the formula is inappropriate for a specific installation (if it is).

That being written my 2 splits in Eltham Vic are more than enough until it gets to multiple 38-40C days when they are just enough and the ceiling fans go on high to get cool air into some of the rooms. Without knowing more (insulation, windows, aspect, foundation) it seems the 12.5 seems quite reasonable.

Thank you all.
I live in a weatherboard, single level, insulated ceiling & west-facing wall. Thick curtains & external shades on South & West windows. North side is closed off by sun-room & internal door.
heat zone 4, cold zone 10.

Apologies, but these sound like zonings used for horticulture purposes.

For building and construction Australia has 8 zones, numbered simply 1 to 8.
Climate zone map | ABCB

May I politely ask if the quote referred to is the only quote received?

2 Likes

Hi Mark
Thx for clearing up the hort. zones. We Finally chose Choice’s recommendation - Mitsubishi Industrial with Coldflow.

In the latest magazine article on the review of air conditioners, I was a little confused by the room chart recommendations and the size recommendations based on where you live. The one on where you lived used a 30 m2 room (considered by the room size chart to be a medium sized room) had 4 of the rooms needing less than the recommended (2.5 - 5kW) in the chart for medium rooms (20 - 40 m2). Two of the rooms were just over the small room requirement (2 - 2.5kW). Only Perth reasonably exceeded the small room recommendation. Which recommendation should be taken as best choice of sizing?

1 Like