AI voice scams - have you heard any?

Not that I know of. They have a magnetic strip, which is what ATMs read, and a chip, which is used for most POS terminals with insert, and tap and go.

I hope you checked that the number was the Commonwealth Bank’s real number … ? :wink:

This is changing. Cards issued recently might not have the magnetic stripe any more, in which case you would have to tap instead of insert the card.

Based on the decline in payments powered by magnetic stripes after chip-based payments took hold, newly-issued Mastercard credit and debit cards will not be required to have a stripe starting in 2024 in most markets. By 2033, no Mastercard credit and debit cards will have magnetic stripes, which leaves a long runway for the remaining partners who still rely on the technology to phase in chip card processing.

Australian ATMs should by now be “EMV compliant”, that is, they have a contactless reader and you can tap instead of inserting.

As of 31 December 2016, all Australian ATMs and pay terminals needed to be EMV compliant. Traditional card readings use the magnetic stripe on a bank card to process a transaction. With EMV compliance, transactions are processed through a card’s chip, which is much harder to commit fraud from. EMV stands for Europay, Mastercard and Visa, which are the three companies who developed the higher security standard.

2 Likes

My Mastercard debit card has 2 chips .

2 Likes

Well it’s been a long while since I last used an ATM. So haven’t noticed the change. My cards still have the mag stripe along with EMV chip.
And as @vax2000 noted, another chip on the card. I can assume that is for contactless tap use.

Anyway, after that diversion, back to topic presumably.

1 Like

Here’s our investigation into AI voice scams:

1 Like

As @pljudd posted previously, a family protocol is a good defense against these scams.

2 Likes

Hi and thanks Choice for the article on AI issues. My husband who is extremely sensitive to this kind of thing received a call from the “Commonwealth Bank” saying that there’d been a possible case of credit card fraud. Please …. He immediately hung up but everyone needs to be really careful. If you get this type of call, hang up and call whichever bank it’s saying needs more information.

2 Likes