AEB Braking Systems

I am not really sure what you are getting at. I came to this forum to see whether other people had had any issues with an AEB system. Because something happened with mine, and I’m curious about how to fix it. And if you don’t ask, you don’t find answers, and things never change. That’s all. I have had no problem experiences with any of the other features you have mentioned, hence I haven’t asked that question. So, isn’t it enough? Not really. I have a month long whiplash injury sustained from a supposed safety function of my new car. I’m just reaching out for some help understanding that.

4 Likes

Thank you. I will look into the manual, good idea, and see what it says as far as problems, or operating modes.
In saying all of this, it was the manufacturer that advised me the AEB system had activated. I had no warning signs on the dash. For all I know, this could be a transmission error. I’m just not sure. I’m going by other peoples answers here, and it sounds like an AEB issue.

3 Likes

Correct. I cannot prove what happened as injury and personal account are not considered evidence and no other driver was involved. Very easy for these things to go ignored when it’s near impossible to provide evidence.

4 Likes

Well @SMcK, you have asked the question, and yes, others have had issues with an automated system that takes control of your brakes. Or cruise control in one post. I am sure there could be others who have had an issue with lane divergence systems that take control of your steering.
The technology behind these active controls is by no means anywhere near perfect.
For me, these features pose more risk than benefits for normal drivers who pay attention to what they are doing driving.
Don’t want the risk of an unexpected emergency braking event? Turn the damn thing off.

Yet most are mandated in new safety feature lists.

That misses the point that if there is no case made they are faulty, they will remain so (and could remain so anyway, but), correct?

2 Likes

So define a fault. The whole point of AEB is to apply the brakes when it decides the driver has not done so when it decides the driver should have. By definition that would be unexpected for the driver, who has not reacted to a situation. Or perhaps been too busy texting on their mobile.
Fault that the driver didn’t expect it? I cannot accept that premise.

The purpose of all safety features is to assist drivers who are otherwise fairly typical, and not atop everything as quickly as perhaps you may be 100% of the time.

That is your prerogative.

4 Likes

The assumption might be that on balance the outcomes are better with than without.

A case in point:
ABS systems have been common for decades and mandated by many nations. In most circumstances the comparisons between with and without are clearly in favour of ABS. The big exception has been roads with loose surfaces. These tend to confuse ABS systems.

Is it worth looking for similar feedback for AEB systems. The rabbit hole?

This is not saying the system on the MG branded vehicle in the OP is without fault. It appears to be a complex topic.

4 Likes

Nobody was texting rather than actually driving in my example Greg. I’ve been driving for 35 years. I know how to drive, thank you. I also follow road rules.

2 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

Thank you everyone, for all your information. This has been a really good discussion about this issue, for me.
The positive is that I no longer feel that it has only happened to me.
Nor do I feel that the car I purchased is the only car this has happened to.

The negative is that none of us should have to endure this kind of constant fault or malfunction in a brand new car. No matter what brand we buy, or the cost of the car, we should be confident and very happy with our purchase.

I’m hoping in time, these faults will be ironed out and nobody will be at risk.

4 Likes

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Automated Vehicular Safety Systems: Are They Safe?

My Hyundai has an AEB Alert system which I find useful, it has alerted a few times fortunately while I was already braking. However it also has twice alerted when a slowing vehicle in front has already been in a slip exit lane. If this had been a full AEB and applied the brakes I would most likely have been shunted from the rear. My experience on motorways is that proper spacing is mostly not observed. If my car had full AEB I would turn it off.

2 Likes

From the research I’ve done, this issue effects most if not all vehicles with AEB (I call it Nana at the wheel)
Our particular vehicle will brake all by itself if passing another vehicle on sweeping right handed bends if we are in the outside lane, OR a vehicle moves from our lane, into a turning bay and stops. I have tried a longer and shorter distance on the radar but this makes no difference.
This issue is caused I believe by car makers being cheap, and having the radar only look directly ahead, IF the radar was A) set to follow the angle of the steering and B) have a narrower field of view almost all false alarm braking could be eliminated.
This is NOT a warranty issue for the manufacturer, the system works as they designed it, and even if it’s flawed if still gets them the 5 star ANCAP rating.

4 Likes

Hi @Charlie1959, welcome to the community.

You do raise some valid points in relation to why AEBs may not be currently a perfect safety solution on some vehicles.

The other factor is the technology is reasonably new. When one manufacturer decides to install it on a particular model (or all its cars), it places pressure on others to follow suit. Since safety is one of the main factors often used to make purchase vehicle decisions, not having a particular safety feature that another manufacturer may have could affect sales. The rush to include new technologies to compete within the market place may also result in quickly developed systems which are not perfect.

2 Likes

It’s interesting isn’t it. I found the Forward Collision Alert on the MG to be very useful.
I didn’t rely on it by any stretch, but I found it quite useful it it thought I wasn’t braking in time, to alert me.
And if I ignored it, it would gently apply the brakes for me. And it wasn’t that I was travelling too close, but that I was advancing on a car quicker than it liked, without having a reaction.

The Pedestrian Safety System which was what activated on the MG for no reason is a system that I think is not quite advanced enough yet to be safely used. That system fully stopped in a second flat from 60 kph. That was scary, and painful. And there was no pedestrian, cyclist, other vehicle, kangaroo, guard rail. For that reason alone, I would not use the feature, which is a pity, as it kind of defeats its’ own purpose.

2 Likes

My Audi Q2, automatic braking system unexpectedly stopped the car when there were no visible obstructions. Occurred three times within two weeks at the same level crossing. I was driving first two times Audi service people driving third time. Paid about $61,000 for car,18 months old, done about 5,000 Km, offered $35,000 refund! Audi and dealer say car operating as per manufacturers specifications, I say major fault or all Audi’s with this auto braking system should be recalled and fixed. Any ideas?.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Michael47

Thank you for your post about this problem. Hopefully you will get some good advice about what paths to resolve your issue may be available to you.

1 Like

Recalls may be initiated by the Importer/Manufacturer or by Government. The following includes a link which enables consumers to report concerns with safety or operation of motor vehicles. Encouraging others to report similar incidents as they occur is one avenue.

2 Likes

Send the dealer a formal Letter of Complaint (search the Community with the Community search tool for that, and Australian Consumer Law and ACL for lots of info and advice and links).

Since it could cause an accident make a formal safety report to

and for good measure, also to

Others might have additional ideas?

2 Likes