Advertising's role in what's deemed 'breakfast' food

So the cereal that was low fat and recommended by Choice was Weetbix and your distaste for it is not to do with the nutritional value or the preferences of rats but another reason that is quite personal and others may not share. A different story altogether.

3 Likes

Whether it is a consumer issue is tenuous at best. Best left and the detail is minimally off topic.

3 Likes

Sigh. And there I was hoping that other posters to this thread would have read the products of all that hard work by @Gaby etc.

No, syncretic, the cereal recommended by Choice (in the article in which they condemned my muesli as being an unhealthy horror that no decent upstanding Aussie housewife would ever feed to her children) was Kellogg’s All Bran, as I reported all those eons ago on these boards, a post helpfully disinterred by the lovely Gaby.

And while my light-hearted post was not intended to be full of indisputable facts already subject to endless academic review, I may have been wrong to have named All Bran as the commercial cereal which famously failed to keep alive a batch of experimental rats (while the control group thrived on the cardboard box) – it seems the culprit in that case may have been Kellogg’s Corn Flakes.

My reference to Sanitarium’s owners was meant to be humorous hyperbole, an obvious dig at those advocating Weet-Bix for breakfast, but it has attracted the attention of a moderator concerned people unfamiliar with my so-called sense of humour might take this as a serious slur on the religious faith of others. His appropriate editing of my post may make our continuing discussion somewhat baffling for anyone coming late to the party. :wink:

1 Like

I cringe at the junk that is marketed as breakfast foods. Most is high sugar and high carb. Setting most people up for a sugar crash a few hours later.

For me, every meal needs some (unprocessed) protein, fat, and some low-carb veggies (cooked or salad). Maybe some nuts.
And 2 meals/day is plenty–I eat when I’m hungry and usually fast for 16-18 hours daily.
This balance works well for me… no blood sugar swings, no cravings… my weight is good, and I feel better than ever.

2 Likes

Now I take umbrage at the suggestion that consumers are unconcerned about where the money they spend in the supermarket ends up, nor indeed that they are unconcerned about the tax treatment of businesses that profit from their spending! :wink:

I am perfectly happy to see one of my jokes binned lest it cause offence to the faithful, but to be accused of lacking relevance…

I find it baffling and I know the whole context. Maybe you should employ smileys or something similar, if several experienced punters can’t tell it is a joke and try to provide straight replies time can be wasted.

1 Like

That must have been fun!

4 Likes

Dropped into Sexy Land to see if they had any stock . They told me to try Coles or Woolworths . :rofl:

3 Likes