ACCC Advises On NBN Refunds

Have you made a formal complaint to the TIO and or NCAT?

If not I strongly suggest you do so as soon as possible and use their complaints procedures. We can’t fix your issues and we have given advice as to possible means to address the issues. Sadly that’s about all we can do. If you have only relied on the HFC undertaking with the ACCC I don’t think TPG will respond favourably to you. If you have complained to the ACCC then it is possible but highly unlikely they will act on your behalf to get a resolution, they are if they take a case more likely to seek a corporate fine and or an undertaking without seeking compensation on your behalf.

I hope you have good luck with the complaint/complaints, no one wants poor service and paying a premium to get that poor service, this does not mean that I think TPG have deliberately provided a poor service. If as you have asserted they have done so then they deserve repercussions.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I will lodge the NCAT application this week. (I first need to send off my 2c worth on the NSW Strata Reform discussion paper. Submissions close 7/04/21).

1 Like

Be aware that one CAT ‘outcome’ might be to seek evidence you have exhausted their formal complaints procedure, chapter and verse, as written. OTOH you might get lucky and they will go beyond that and accept your logs of events in lieu

Good luck to you. Plz post your experience with NCAT re how it goes with them.

2 Likes

Update: I was preparing to lodge my application with NCAT, when I performed a few speed tests over a few days. In short I saw I was receiving around 45 Mbps most of the times I was online. This was quite an eye opener when compared to the 3 Mbps which prodded me to ask TPG if I alone was their NBN 3 customer.

I thanked the woman at TPG who handled my case for improving my speed and indicated that if it stays this way, I will not seek NCAT’s intervention.

Did TPG offer a refund for the time (months?) I was throttled down to single digit speed? No.
Will I bother them for a refund? No, but I will look around for other providers as I suspect TPG will soon be back to providing single digit speed, if history is any guide.

1 Like

You may find that it is an issue between your router and the nearest exchange…whereby other retailer could also have the same issue as they will be using the same infrastructure. I wouldn’t be holding your breath that they will not have similar issues. If you do change, let us know how you get on.

You raise an interesting point. I will certainly let you known if my speed dwindles and if I change ISPs.

1 Like

Does anyone know which speed test site is reliable? Each website gives very different speeds, even when tests are conducted sequentially.

Are you asking about which server?
I use Speedtest by Ookla, and select a server that is in the nearest Capital. Ookla does a reasonable job most of the time at making a good choice. TPG, Telstra, often come up. The larger ISP’s most likely have servers with the greatest capacity to handle your test.

My current results for about a week with TPG 100/40 by the SamKnows Whitebox (note current result is for 2 samples run just before the Speedtest one lower down)

This is my current results via Wifi connection to router. My PC is about 2 metres from the router but there is a wall between with wiring in it (results by Speedtest)

A loss of nearly 50 Mbps by using Wifi rather than wired connection so it would seem for my situation Throttling seems unlikely by TPG. I usually use wired to router but conducted test by Wifi to show the effect Wifi can have on results.

Instant test conducted at 11:51 am today via Whitebox (wired)
Screenshot 2021-04-14 115138

And by PC wired to Router as per normal

Also need to take into account this is the School Holiday period here and there is a lot of extra traffic all day long on the nbn™ because of the extra people online all day.

3 Likes

Yes I heard Ookla is reliable. I would however like to compare one reliable site with another. Say Ookla with an Australian domiciled provider. When speed testing with Optus and Telstra at almost the same time I obtained very different results.

TPG to Optus Wifi

TPG to Optus wired

Note a far worse ping than to Telstra and some loss of Mbps but minimal. Wifi again far worse speeds than wired, the Wifi band 5G and type is AX with a max throughput of 3200 Mbps. Wired is Cat 7 cable

The tests are run via local connections not diverted overseas then back to the receiving server, it is run via your machine direct to the server that you select to test against. That is why you are given the option to share them, the software/scripts is what is provided by Speedtest to run the tests.

Further testing Telstra, Optus and Superloop at approx 1:15 pm (wired)

No throttling apparent, Optus consistently worst ping result, others pings are what I would expect ie 2-3ms, speeds appear reasonably consistent across them all. Depending on where a user is then selecting various servers to test against should show which are better reproductions of actual performance…but honestly to use WiFi as a test bed as seen from above posts and @phb’s post just below, is just not an accurate picture.

Testing for today the 15/04/21 for same 3 as yesterday

TPG to Telstra (wired)

TPG to Superloop (wired)

TPG to Optus (wired and again worst ping)

TPG to Optus (WiFi and still worst ping)

TPG to Telstra (WiFi)

TPG to Superloop (WiFi)

And still no sign of throttling as per SamKnows results and as I expected the results to show

3 Likes

This is a great example of the impacts of airspace on wifi…and why a wifi connected device should not be used to do speed checks of a fixed line NBN connection.

Just checked our line and wifi connections (our plan is still operating at crazy speeds). The FTTP LAN connected speed 265.79Mbps/22.60Mbps and wifi at 0.5 metres from the WIFI router is 65.9Mbps/23.1Mbps. A considerable reduction (I suspect that the minor increase in Wifi upload is due to variations in the connection speed).

2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback. Very interesting.

1 Like

‘Very concerned’: Telstra to pay $25 million in refunds for slow NBN speeds

ACMA chair Nerida O’Loughlin said that a two-year investigation found 49,092 Telstra customers had been affected by the issue. However Telstra had found further customers had been affected, bringing the total refunds it would pay to $25 million.

it is not the first time Telstra had been punished for the behaviour.

The telco paid remedies to about 42,000 customers for promoting and operating NBN plans as capable for maximum speeds that could not be achieved in 2017,

1 Like