50% penalty if you don't pay within 2 days - for your anesthetist

If I received a similar invoice, I would pay the $500 within a reasonable time (say 7 days) and ignore any demands for further payment.

3 Likes

JB Hi Fi, I had to laugh at that, so have you had some bad experiences with them too?

1 Like

My advice, born of experience, is to meet with your surgeon before the operation and discuss both his (her) fee and that of the anaesthetist. Tell your surgeon that you cannot proceed without full cost details…this should not be a problem because either the surgeon has a regular anaesthetist or is aware as to whom is most likely to assist…the surgeon can arrange for you to meet the anaesthetists or have them provide a cost to you directly. Do not be intimidated…most surgeons are reasonable and willing to help…they are aware, too, that you will probably provide feedback to your health fund or to your GP and it is their best interests to remain on the preferred referral list.

6 Likes

Excellent advice @pmg. A bit of common sense does help avoid nasty surprises. Glad to read some positive advice for a change.

2 Likes