Telstra Bill

I have received the Telstra bill below each month for the last four months.

||||Account number:

Bill number:

Hi MR ,

Your new bill is attached. Good news - your account is currently in credit, so no payment is required at this time.

To view your current and past 12 months’ bills, choose a different payment method or query your bill, please sign in to the My Telstra app.

If you need help with your bill or would like to get in touch with us, visit our support page.

Thanks for choosing Telstra.||This Bill

$0.00

i Previous Balance

cr $23.33

i Total

cr $23.33||||

The explanation from the Chat function in the My Telstra app is “

"I got it! As your internet service in the new upfornt plan you will charged directly from the updated payment method on 19th of every month. Please confirm do you want me to process the refund of $23.33 credits back to the original payment method?

You will not be able to use $23.33 credits to make the payment for internet plan as it is on new upfront plan. Please confirm do you want me to process the refund?"

The unsophisticated amongst you would assume that a total of $93.22 was to be refunded. However, to the Telstra wise you know that this won’t necessarily be the case. In my case I think it will be $23.33 in total.

What annoys me is that a company as large as Telstra does not have the capacity to adjust a monthly bill at the time of a “new” plan commencing. The new plan, by the way, was solely at Telstra’s initiative and not mine.

It is possible Telstra has placed you in a similar situation and you may be able to access a similar refund. Be aware that Telstra does not have the capacity, independently, to issue such a refund and may require a nudge.

Perhaps for the unsophisticated some greater detail or explanation can be provided. I’m hopeful further details related to the plan change may make it easier for us unsophisticated ones to understand.

I’ve a long history as a business customer and sometimes personal customer of Telstra. I’m not quite sure what the $93.22 relates to without guessing. And true - Telstra are masters of unilaterally updating plans.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. My Chat used the term “credits”. Credits , being plural, would suggest multiple refunds.

The move to a new plan is “detailed” in an email I received on 2 Nov 2023.

"
We’re moving you to our latest Upfront plans.
Hi Mr ,

As part of our commitment to simplify our products, we’ll be moving your services to our latest Upfront plans from 12 December. You don’t need to do anything - this move will happen automatically.
Your payment date will also change as part of this update.
Service Plan

zzz@bigpond.net.au Telstra Upfront Internet Plan Essential

Payment updates
Upfront and automatic billing
You’ll no longer receive a bill for these services. Instead, we’ll send you a receipt once your payment has been processed.

To view usage and upcoming payments, download digital receipts, and manage your services, go to the [My Telstra app]

Your new payment date
Payment for your services will fall on the 19th and will cover you for the month ahead.
AutoPay
Monthly payment for these services will be made using your nominated AutoPay payment method.
What’s next?
You don’t need to do anything. This change will happen automatically from 12 December.

You can see more information on your new plan [here]
We’d love you to stay. However, if these changes mean your plans no longer suits your needs, you can explore other plan options or choose to cancel your services."

You will note that “you don’t need to do anything” is stated twice. That is of course self explanatory, unless, as in my case, you query why you are receiving a bill for four consecutive months stating that you account is in credit and discovering that entitlement to a refund exists.

2 Likes

I had the same issue when they forced me onto an upfront plan. They told me that the new upfront plans use a different billing system incompatible with the old one so they cant send the credit across. They also said i could apply for a refund from the old billing system but they couldnt guarantee it would be approved. They did end up refunding it as direct credit

1 Like

I think you have that the wrong way round. With a company as large as Telstra, everything is difficult to achieve. Difficult for them to care enough about you personally as a customer to want to resolve the problem. Difficult to find the right person who understands your problem. Difficult to find the right person who has the authority to fix your problem. etc. Small, nimble companies have their annoyances too of course.

1 Like