Godfreys Australian stores closing down

I recently purchased a Tineco vacuum cleaner from Godfreys (the sole distributor in Australia for Tineco) but now I’ve heard they’re closing all their Australian stores. I’ve received nothing from Godfreys and couldn’t find a single word about this on their website. I’ve read that they’re phasing the shutdowns in over time, and stores that are still trading are still selling their existing stock, in some cases at a discount. What effect will these shutdowns have on my warranty, and/or where will I be able to source parts and service? Does anyone know more about this? Kate

5 Likes

Welcome @Kate3

BTW Godfrey’s at Westfield is still operating. I’m waiting on a filter for my (discontinued) stick vacuum cleaner.

2 Likes

It means that you will no longer be able to go to the retailer/Godfreys to resolve a warranty claim. However, you still have the opportunity to make warranty claims through the manufacturer:

Fortunately Tineco isn’t a Godfreys store branded product. (If it was a store branded product and the retailer closed down, there wouldn’t be any way to resolve a warranty claim.)

4 Likes

From websites it looks like that Godfreys is the sole distributor of the Platinum cordless vacuum cleaner but Harvey Norman and Bunnings stock other models of Tineco floor cleaners.
Also Tineco spare parts could be found at https://www.vacuumspares.com.au/tineco-1/

3 Likes

Details on the Godfreys website list Wertheim, Pullman, Hoover, Sauber and i-VAC as being Godfreys owned or manufactured products. In the near future there is unlikely to be any warranty support for those brands.

1 Like

This isn’t right.

Pullman is a separate company and is manufactured by Rugged Industries.

Hoover is owned by the separate company Techtronic Industries Co Ltd.

Wertheim, Sauber and i-Care are also and independent companies.

Godfreys held the Australian distribution rights to some of these brands. Distribution rights shouldn’t be confused with being Godfreys owned or manufactured products.

Warranties for such products will continue with the manufacturers. As Godfreys supplied some of these brands under their distribution licence, these licences will disappear and there will be the opportunity for others to takeover as the distributors, or for the manufacturers to deal directly with other retailers who currently sell their products.

2 Likes

From the Godfreys website (bolding added).
"In addition, during the administration period (on and from 30 January 2024), Godfreys is no longer offering additional rights to customers including but not limited to:

1. Express, voluntary or extended warranties on Godfreys owned or manufactured products. (Wertheim, Pullman, Hoover, Sauber, i-VAC)
  2. Change of mind or money back guarantee refunds, exchanges and replacements
  3. Trade-in discounts"

It is likely that the “owned” refers to Australian distribution rights. From Wikipedia " Godfreys currently holds the licence to distribute Hoover-branded vacuum cleaners in Australia and New Zealand. In addition to the Hoover brand, Godfreys also owns the exclusive distribution rights to Wertheim, Vorwerk floorcare range, Pullman, and Sauber cleaning products.".

1 Like

Wertheim was acquired by Godfreys around 2010. Some of the brands I don’t recognise but Hoover as you stated are sold under a distribution licence by Godfreys.

1 Like

From the website

Godfreys Goodiness

Godfreys offers its team members a customised ‘Reward and Recognition’ platform that delivers an immersive culture of continuous recognition and appreciation across our entire business. Empowering everyone, from our frontline team members to our Leadership Team, line managers and everyone in between to celebrate contributions that drive our business forward through multi-directional reward and recognition that aligns to our mission, values, and employer brand.

Oh if I join the team please can I be customised, recognised, immersed, appreciated, empowered and rewarded too?

1 Like

There website is wrong and agree that Godfreys took sole distribution as being their brand.

I didn’t check Wertheim, but this might be the only store branded one. My error in the previous post if it is.

Sauber is a brand of Lux International, a Swiss company. Their products are sold as Lux overseas, but Sauber in Australia.

i-VAC I haven’t been able to confirm ownership, but is it also available in retailers other than Godfreys which suggests Godfreys is the distributor.

The manufacturers which Godfreys was the sole Australian distributor will sweating as Godfreys collapse will have significant impact on their Australian sales, until such time they can reconnect the manufacturer to (other) retailer supply chain.

3 Likes

Appears to be part of this company

i-team Professional b.v.
Hoppenkuil 27b, 5626 DD Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Telephone: +31402662400
Email: hello@i-teamglobal.com
Internet: www.i-teamglobal.com

As an example of one of the I-Vac units from a company that appears to hire them out

https://www.capitalequipment.com.au/web/content/153109?access_token=5b5ae713-ab43-4063-937a-28eba9e74939&unique=7c73f7a7cae0e9c9efff05dede70917a0d7f33da&download=true

1 Like

Holding a licence to distribute does not exclude a third party from being the Australian importer. It may not be exclusive, or as for the retail deal done by Bunnings for Ryobi brands require ACCC approval.
For all products sold by Godfrey full clarity will only come with further details of the distribution chain for the respective brands and products as noted so far in other posts.
To note consumer guarantees include:

https://consumer.gov.au/sites/consumer/files/2016/05/0553FT_ACL-guides_Guarantees_web.pdf

The importation of household electrical powered Vacuum cleaners is regulated. EESS in scope electrical risk schedule 3. Godfrey may have purchased directly from the OS manufacturer and be the importer. Or purchased from another entity which imported the product into Australia. There is an online database of certificates issued and the holder - although it is not guaranteed to be a complete reference.

A slightly different view noting Hoover is manufactured by or for Hong Kong company TTI (Techtronic Industries). It’s brands including Hoover and Ryobi(licenced) are represented in Australia by Techtronic Industries Australia Pty Ltd. Hoover products can be purchased independently of Godfrey’s through a Hoover on line site as well as other major electrical retailers.

Should Choice seek further answers directly from Godfreys administrator? Which of the products sold were obtained through an Australian based importer or a manufacturer with an Australian representative, and which were Godfreys responsible for importation and compliance? In either instance consumers may encountered difficulties. Where there is an independent Australian importer it’s most likely they have limited retail customer support or none!

2 Likes

Your warranty is void and the company isn’t taking on any claims. I know because I have a claim to make on my vacuum that is still within warranty and the store said there is nothing they can do.

2 Likes

You then contact the manufacturer as they are then responsible under ACL as the retailer who would normally be the responsible party in the first instance are no longer trading. The only difficulty would be for a Wertheim machine which is definitely a Godfreys owned brand. If a Wertheim, you may wish to lodge a creditors claim with the Liquidator, though the chances of receiving any restitution would likely be very small to almost non existent, keeping in mind the saying “nothing ventured, nothing gained”, so if you don’t attempt you won’t have any possibility of any restitution…

2 Likes

It’s possible bags to suit various Wertheim models. and a limited range of parts/accessories may be available beyond the demise of Godfreys. There may be other alternate suppliers.

1 Like

I was referring to @kgr’s current need to make a claim, that the machine was still under warranty, and that Godfrey’s has said there is nothing they can do. If anything other than a Wertheim they should under ACL be able to rely on the manufacturer, if Wertheim it will be most probably a claim against the winding up proceeds.

2 Likes

Agreed and understood.
We own a 20yo (German made I believe) Wertheim. Your reply prompted me to look at how we might be off for simpler needs such as replacement bags. A different but also worrying thought given it is a home brand so to speak and a product previously with a positive Choice recommendation.

1 Like

The manufacturer is Hoover which is owned by Godfreys and as I mentioned I called Godfreys. On that phone call I was instructed that they are no longer taking on any claims from the date of receivership.

As outlined in an earlier post, the manufacturer of Hoover is Techtronic Industries Co Ltd and not Godfreys. Both Godfreys and Techtronic Industries are responsible for resolving any warranty claims under the Australian Consumer Law. A consumer can chose whether to pursue a warranty claim with the retailer (Godfreys) or the manufacturer. As Godfreys are in liquidation and will be closing down, the option to contact Techtronic Industries is still available.

Under the Hoover brand, Techtronic Industries Co Ltd has an Australian website:

Their website outlines avenues for contacting the Techtronic Industries Co Lt for warranty claims, namely:

HOOVER CONTACT DETAILS FOR AUSTRALIAN RESIDENTS:

Techtronic Industries Australia Pty Ltd
31 Gilby Road
Mount Waverley
Victoria 3149
Australia
Phone: 1300 698 130
E-mail: customerservice@ttibrands.com.au

If you have an issue with your Hoover vacuum, it is suggested that you contact Techtronic Industries using the above contact details. They are responsible under the Australian Consumer Law for resolving any issues with their products.

2 Likes

Godfreys do not own the Hoover brand. Godfreys does have a licence to use the Hoover brand name on products it sells. To note Godfreys is a trading name of one or more of the corporate entities that make up the business. In respect of future warranty saying so may make little difference. If one chooses to read on?

As Noted previously.

There is currently a link provided on the Godfreys website to advise provided by the appointed administrators PWC. The FAQs provide a short response re consumer warranties, including section A9 of the Appendix A1.1 There are restrictions on access and reproduction of the content, hence customers will need to go to the website for further details. https://www.godfreys.com.au/
We have made several purchases from Godfrey’s and still use at least one vacuum cleaner imported directly by Godfreys and another Hoover branded, origins uncertain.

For customers who purchased Hoover branded products - some will be rebadged as Hoover by Godfreys under licence. The story for each product may vary. Rebadging often supports a product being exclusive, despite a product being technically identical, cosmetics or accessories the only variation. Electrical Home-AIDS Pty Ltd is included with the administration. One example that illustrates how it might be for models previously sold. I truncated the list to keep the post to a reasonable length.

For products directly imported by Godfreys and where the manufacturer has no Australian presence, there will be limited recourse.
To note re consumer guarantees.

2 Likes