ZipPay - We take a look and let you know how much it will cost you

Oh I could believe it. When we contacted AfterPay they wanted a 6% slug from the vendor. I’m sure others in the same industry would be similar.

3 Likes

Why would anyone use a loan to pay for a haircut? If you are that broke, let your hair grow till you have cash.

Society has gone mad on loans. Businesses have gone equally mad on surcharges for secure payment.

Disclosure: I own Zip shares, and have so far shown a very handsome gain. I am gambling that people are not letting up on their desire to get further into debt for no reason.

1 Like

A hairdresser styling, perm and colour can set you back a least a hundred but more likely a couple of hundred dollars, these are not $25 haircuts. I can quite understand that someone on a day that is particularly important to look good on might want a “do” that is expensive, and the ability to manage that payment over 4 weeks or so might be much easier to deal with.

1 Like

Meh, don’t buy it.

If a $200 haircut is essential (no-one will ever convince me that it is) then how is $214 something to complain about?

My modus operandi is to spend less than I earn, save for a rainy day, andnever borrow for anything other than a home. This haircut sounds like a “rainy day” item.

The unspoken problem here is that the credit card(s) is already maxxed out, otherwise who would go for Zipmoney when a credit card surcharge is much less and the card can have up to 55 days before payment is due.

You are missing the point on whether it is 30$ or 200$. Zippay clearly state that merchants can not pass this charge on however unethical rouge behaviour should be called out. I have discovered 27 ppl who will never use their Melb network again due to their unethical sneaky behaviour and will never use zippay.

1 Like

Also good credit card management is paying within cycles. Take advantage of the 55 days interest free paymemt.

I myself would also not do it, but I do understand others who might. What suits you is great for you, what suits others is great for them. If they completely shun Credit Cards or even if they don’t then Zippay or their kind of service may indeed be a very valid choice, as is layby for some and loans are for others. We all have differing needs and that is what makes life such an interesting place to be.

This was not ZipMoney which even though it is run by the same company is not the service Zippay. ZipMoney is only interest free for a limited time period of 3 months though some extended periods can be offered as promotional ones and a $6 fee is charged every month there is a balance owing. It is also only for amounts over $1,000 I believe. On the other hand Zippay is interest free but does charge a $6 fee if there is a balance owing after each month and there are penalties if payments are missed. So for some the choice of 4 weeks to pay back with no interest or fees is a great choice.

What the complaint that started this thread was about is that a merchant in what seems to be a breach of Zippay’s condition ie that no Zippay merchant cost of service is to be passed onto the customer and those details were not disclosed until the payment was being processed and that the cost was passed on in what seems disregard of their Zippay Merchant contract is the problem.

Zip pay’s Repayment explanation from their site:

"
How do Zip Pay repayments work?

We’ve made repayments simple and flexible. Here’s how it all works:

We give you one account for all of your purchases, with only one repayment schedule to manage!

When is my first payment due?

Once you’ve made your first purchase, we’ll send you a statement at the start of the next month, outlining any purchases you made.

We set your default autopay amount to be $40 per month (or less if the amount you owe is less than $40). We’ll send you a statement outlining all purchases on the 1st of the next month.

How is the repayment made?

This will come from your linked debit card and run until your purchases are paid off.

You can change your repayment schedule at any time - choose from weekly, fortnightly or monthly payments. You can also set your own payment amount, as long as you cover the monthly minimum of $40 (or less if the amount you owe is under $40).
Important!

You can make additional payments at any time, and there are no early repayment penalties. Just be aware that additional payments won’t stop or replace your scheduled payments unless you manually change your payment schedule.

When is my payment due?

We’ll send you a statement at the start of each month. This will provide a summary of any purchases you made during the month prior and how much you owe in total. You’ll then have until the end of the month to pay off your balance in full to avoid paying any fees.

If you’d prefer to take extra time to pay off your balance, it’s no problem - you’ll just need to pay the monthly minimum of $40, and a $6 monthly account fee will be added to your balance for the following month.

For example: If you make two purchases in January, you’ll receive a statement on February 1st showing how much you owe for these two purchases. You’ll then have until February 28th to pay this amount without being charged the $6 monthly account fee."

2 Likes

The good outcome is that the ACCC will force zippay to contact all ppl that used zippay at the Merchant saloon in Balwyn nth and other sites to inform them they have breached t&c and refund the surcharge plus penalty.

1 Like

The merchant will not refund as she believes it can be charged. However ACCC is involved and they will force Christine to contact all her clients she charged illegally and refund and also zippay will be forced to contact.

2 Likes

Power to the people!!! Against these unethical retail merchants

2 Likes

Please watch for that and post when it happens. The ACCC picks its fights carefully and there is scant if any evidence they go after ‘small change’. Since ZipPay has a policy on passing on the 7% it is on the merchant, and thus more likely to be interpreted as a contract law problem between those two.

1 Like

Went to purchase a set of tyres for my car and rang Nova tyres in Geelong. They first tried to charge me more than what the price was advertised on their website, they also have afterpay but they told me there would be a 6% surcharge for afterpay and zippay. I decided to ring their Dandenong branch. They gave me the price that was advertised on their website, as long as you have them fit it, but when I asked about zippay afterpay, they then said there would be a 7% surcharge. I thought merchants weren’t allowed to charge you a surcharge

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @Mozza71,

Please read this topic from the beginning and it should answer your question. If not, please feel free to reply again and we’ll have a go.

2 Likes

On several attempts my application to join Zip Pay hasn’t progressed beyond the name supplied, email address supplied … stage with the message from Zip Pay saying I don’t qualify. I pose the proposition that Zip Pay refers to a credit type check database to check my credit history as being the reason for the rejection. Zip Pay does not give a specific reason for the rejection and are not transparent about their actions. Afterpay on the other hand cannot make it any easier. I suggest that my " excellent " credit history eg. paying the total every month without fail on my credit card statement, doesn’t make me a profitable Zip Pay customer.

Have you considered the additional costs of using ‘products’ such as Zippay and Afterpay, as compared to your credit card? You could be better off running a card balance and/or asking for a higher credit limit, or better, applying for a second card to run a balance when you need to and keeping your present card paid in full each month.

1 Like

It is possible that Zip Pay & Afterpay use different Credit Reporting Agencies. Have a read of Choice’s article: Your personal credit score: what you need to know

At the bottom is contact information for different CRAs. Perhaps you could contact them and check that they all have your information correct? If not, you can correct any errors, and your application through Zip Pay may proceed.

1 Like