Your best Shopping Tips

After I finished my “shopping experience” at Woollies this afternoon, I had a look in Coles.

All the marked down Garlo’s pies were gone except for a couple of their vegeterian pies which were marked down from $4.50 to 50 cents each, so almost a 90% markdown off the original price.

Coles recently had a pack of Garlo’s mini sausage rolls with a Use By date of the next day, so I asked a staff member about marking them down.

He returned the pack shortly after with the price marked down from $9.85 to $2.00.

“Ask and thou shalt receive”?

1 Like

When I was at our local Coles this afternoon, they had marked the raw Banana Prawns down from $20/kg to a mere $8.25/kg, and the Australian scallop meat from $42/kg to just $10/kg.

I grabbed 2kg of the prawns and the kilo of scallop meat.

Happy days.

I try to avoid going to the regional town, where Coles & Woolies ‘live’, more often than weekly - prefer fortnightly, but am now noting expiry/use by dates on expensive items (which don’t fit into my budget), and adjusting the day I go to take a (possible) advantage on big markdowns: will now shop later in the day… Thanks Fred!!
PS. A great score on the seafood!

1 Like

Our local Woollies in regional Tasmania alternates between early morning markdowns and late afternoon/evening markdowns. It is random to when the markdown occurs and suspect that they regularly change when they markdown fresh products to reduce the potential for shoppers to target the supermarket at the same time to do their shop.

2 Likes

When I visited our local Coles this afternoon to grab some bread, as I walked past the meat section, I saw this pack of pork ribs.marked down for the third time to a mere $3.72, save $21.12.

If there is one thing that tastes better than pork ribs, it is pork ribs for a mere $3 a kilo.

Just a matter of happening to be there at the right time and keeping a sharp eye out for bargains.

4 Likes

Woollies donate a huge amount of this food to community organisations like Oz Harvest. I know this from my own experience providing community meals in a local community organization. It was not uncommon to get good food that was at it’s “use by” date.

1 Like