You aren't always eating what you think you are (long post so be warned lol)

A valid point indeed. For instance when I’m eating in a restaurant that offers menu items ranging through mild-medium-hot I make the point that I want asian hot (if it’s an asian restaurant) as I learned early on they err on the side of caution when serving spicy dishes to westerners lol.

I remember laughing at a Malay restaurant in Melbourne when my brother and I ordered laksa (hot). When it arrived it was decidedly mild so we asked the waitress for a bowl of hot chilli to add to it. She returned after a couple of minutes looking concerned and watched as my brother and I added it to the dish. As we started eating she hurried to the kitchen and we saw the staff poke their heads around the corner to watch us. They remembered us every time we went back and treated us like returning friends.

Assumptions based on race are common wherever humanity walks lol.

2 Likes

A post I made in a different topic in the forun.

Of course, Cairns and the Gold Coast have massive numbers of Chinese and other Asian tourists.

Cairns also has many Chinese families who arrived in the gold rush days when Cairns was first settled and who speak English fluently.

A person I know was working offshore and stayed in Singapore on his breaks.

He related the story when the lady running the accomadation asked him to get her some Chinese takeaway whilst he was out, which he did.

When she tasted it, she did not like it and said that it had obviously been prepared for a Westerner.

2 Likes

Another article regarding warning signs of dodgy restaurants.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/lifestyle/foodanddrink/14-red-flags-youre-about-to-eat-at-a-bad-restaurant/ss-BBZeUKz?ocid=spartandhp#image

1 Like