WPA3 devices hopefully released later this year (2018)

WPA3 is here and was announced at CES 2018 by the Wi-Fi Alliance.

This new version of WiFi security will help secure even public wifi traffic it is stated. It will use a stronger key, 192 bit compared to WPA2 which uses either a 64 bit or a 128 bit key. IoT (Internet of Things) security improvements among other security benefits are expected from this development, including defeating the KRACK vulnerability.

Devices certified to this new standard are expected in the market during this year.

For an article on this information release see:

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/security-world/2018/01/wpa3-will-secure-wi-fi-connections-in-four-significant-ways-in-2018

4 Likes

Speaking of IoT - still no plans to secure those devices in every home that transmit around channels 8-9 on the 2.4 Ghz WiFi band :rofl: (sorry, couldn’t resist)

It’s an arms race - won’t be long before someone finds an interesting attack against WiFi ‘protected by WPA3’ 
 still the alternative - do nothing - doesn’t work so well either 
 good to see some progress. I know I’m a cynic - no need to point that out :wink:

3 Likes

Heheh in my post I was careful to say “will help secure” rather than “will secure”. As was said in the thread about ‘Spectre’ and ‘Meltdown’ there is no truly secure interaction on the web/internet. All we can hope for is using what tools we can to be as secure as we can and being ever watchful for when it goes wrong. Sort of like backups, chances of having no accessible backups become less the more you do and having different storage locations, but it is never zero risk. I have previously said in at least one other topic, I ascribe to Paddy’s Law which states Murphy was an Optimist

Healthy cynicism is a useful tool as it prepares us for the worst,

5 Likes

And people hassle ME about MY tinfoil hat! :wink:

2 Likes

Maybe it is time to revisit the tube? :smiley:

1 Like

I understand that Elon Musk is bringing it back on a larger scale :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hopefully not as in George Orwell’s 1984?

1 Like

The WiFi Alliance is once again developing its standards in a closed room and without consultation. When will they learn?

3 Likes

problem is they just close the room when they should seal it - permanently. Never mind, WPA4 will fix it, or WPAN or WPAX or WTF 

1 Like

Do you mean we are not already at WTF 1803? It thought it had already been released on the 9th, but then learnt it has been delayed slightly.

2 Likes