With NBN, distance from node determines speed

My Street went NBN live on the 28th April 2017, I signed up with an ISP on a 100/40 Mbps plan and was connected. The Green node cabinet and piller is just across the road and I am getting Download Speed of 94 - 96 Mbps Download and 32 - 34 Mbps upload with the modem directly connected by lan cable to the computer, if I disconnect the lan cable and just use Wi-Fi connection it drops down to 80 - 84 Mbps download and 32 - 33 Mbps upload,
Modem Broadband Data says the Maximum Line Rate is 139 Mbps Down, 52 Mbps Upload, Line Rate 107 Mbps Down, 44 Mbps Upload.

1 Like

More than four million premises won’t have access to top NBN speeds

Even though a credible NBN project was underway, the Minister for Communications of the time Hon. Malcom Turnbull made the decision to sell us what is analogous to the quality of Hahndorf and Chocolatier chocolate, while conciously delivering Cadbury to most with many having the opportunity for nothing more than a sugary sweet American Hershey bar at Lindt prices.

8 Likes

Thank you for the reminder that speeds ain’t speeds. Apart from wanting to move into your house, there is a reason that you will never hit 100Mbps on a 100Mbps line: overhead.

In order to use the world wide web - or the broader Internet - your computer has to connect with another computer somewhere out there, and get a confirmation back of that connection. Then each end will keep confirming that they are there, and what has been sent/received, and sometimes a number of other bits (8 to a byte) of information to ensure everything is hunky and/or dory. All this overhead means that if you try to download a 100Mb file*, you will never be able to download it in one second - no matter how close it may be.

*Note that this is megabits and not megabytes, just to add further confusion. Files generally are referred to in megabytes while Internet speeds are in megabits - 1/8 of a megabyte.

*And do not get me started on storage measurement - they lie!

1 Like

I stumbled across this article and thought I would share my experiences. Having signed up with Optus NBN from Telstra ADSL, I was quite annoyed initially. Having signed up to 50mbps, I was flatlining 25mbps during business hours, and 6-12mbps during peak times. After a couple of complaints, Optus let me out of their 24 month contract.

I signed up with MATE NBN on a 25mbps plan, getting consistent 17mbps. Although not 25mbps, I figured this was a better outcome as I knew I would not get the full 25mbps anyway - as someone above also stated. I then upgraded to 50mbps and noticed that my speedtest.net speeds had not increased, and neither had my line sync. I suspected they had not upgraded my line, but after a couple of calls they ensured me that I had.

NBN were then engaged by my RSP who eventually told me my line was within spec. I asked, ‘in spec of 25mbps or 50mbps?’. The response I got was that I am 1274m (1100m line of sight) from the node and that 25mbps was the maximum speed that NBN believe is possible at this distance - at least for now (see below). What annoys me the most is that I have a node 400m line of sight away which would see me get much faster speeds. I know it requires laying a new cable however which if I really wanted to, I assume I could probably pay Telstra to move.

A friend who worked for Alcatel Lucent who supposedly provides the NBN equipment, mentioned that g.fast technology means that 1000mbps speeds on FTTN are possible - again distance would still impact your connection.

For me, receiving 13mbps on an ADSL2+ connection, I should have stuck with it considering I have gained 4mbps with NBN which was touted as being ‘Super Fast’, something it is definitely not living up to. I think NBN and RSPs have a lot to learn with the way that consumers are currently being informed. I do like the approach I read above with the 12/1 connections before committing to higher speeds, but this is a massive flaw.

1 Like

Early 1970’s and the new u beaut micro wave went through from Brisbane to Darwin.
The Japanese chaps putting the final touches and hook up stated "why you do this, its all old fashioned out of date.
Here we are in 2017 putting in half baked NBN and the same comment could be made, It is out of date.!!!
and was out of date before they even started to lay the lines.
How absolutely bloody stupid are we as Australians???

1 Like

Since you posed that as a question, look at what we put into parliament and allow to stay there. Sufficient answer?

1 Like

An interesting article today.

http://thenewdaily.com.au/life/tech/2017/06/07/nbn-speed-trials-smokescreen/

2 Likes

Hi mactym, I have not joined with nbn yet, I have heard more - than +. You was using ADSL, will that still be available or will the other servers be out of the picture and only the nbn be available. I am not that tech savy. Regards Carrol

Short answer is that ADSL and similar will be out of the picture. Longer answer follows.

As the NBN rolls out in each area the previous services in that area are no longer made available to new connections. That means if you are on ADSL whether ADSL or ADSL2 already then you can stay on it until 18 months after NBN has been made available in that area.

After 18 months all physical connections are cut that do not use the NBN and you either do not have any telecommunications other than mobile or you have to connect to the NBN infrastructure. If you move to an area that already has NBN rolled out you are unable to connect to ADSL or the old copper infrastructure and must connect to the NBN if you wish to have a landline or want to connect to the internet other than by mobile. The only telephone landlines that will remain in place are those places that are/will be serviced by the NBN Satellite but you will not be able to connect to the internet by the landline.

For most people, once connected to the NBN (other than satellite), they will have a better service than ADSL, by how much remains to be seen in each case, but the actual process of getting connected is hurting a lot of people.

If the Government had stayed with the mostly FTTP (Fibre To The Premises) that Mr Rudd promised then most people would be serviced by a, simple in terms of technology, very robust, fast, reliable NBN but now we face a very complex, under performing, and expensive to maintain and implement, mish mash of technologies that in a lot of cases will need to be replaced by better fibre options at more expense in the future.

7 Likes

distance to the node does indeed to be very important for FTTN
which is why I asked NBN Co where the node is that will service my address (as I cannot see any green cabinet on the footpath in my street or nearby in the connecting street) - and they said they cannot tell me

As my ISP (currently, for Naked DSL) is advertising “change to NBN FTTN” heavily to me, I asked them the same question “where is the cabinet that would be providing service to my address?” and they couldn’t tell me

I feeling very cynical about this invisible FTTN cabinet.

1 Like

A previous post has some good info on what speed you might expect at your address and where the node is located. You can search your address by using the search icon located near the increase/decrease magnification buttons on the top left side of the map. I have quoted it into this reply for you:

1 Like

I found the map is not always accurate unless the NBN is completed and fully connected across the estate/area, not just being rolled out in the estate/area; info for my residence is inaccurate as confirmed by conversations with NBNCo.

The map is a good place to start but is not always authoritative.

2 Likes

TheBBG is correct about the http://nbnmtm.australiaeast.cloudapp.azure.com/nbnmtm.html map only being informative in areas where NBN has been connected and in use for a while.

Putting my address into the map brings up:
Technology: FTTN
Distance Premise-Pillar: No Pillar Location available
Distance Node-Pillar: No Node Location available
Estimated Download Rate: No estimate available
Estimated Upload Rate: No estimate available
Premises: 1

As this area has underground Telstra copper wires for telephone services, there are no pillars visible on the surface - making it hard to look for a cabinet which may or may not be withing 80 metres of a ‘pillar’

I will keep looking on the unofficial map over next until Jan 2019 (date said to be termination date of ordinary telephone and DSL services in this area).

Telstra’s copper tends to be underground, and pops above the surface into pillars like these:

The pillar nearest to our home is approximately 250m away in an adjoining street to ours.

1 Like

Yep even the map provider states it is a work in progress, but it is a great starting point. Our NBN had only been implemented very recently but our area was in the map. I think the accuracy depends on the information the map’s creator is able to obtain from sources rather than any time frame that the service has been implemented in an area.

The Node box is green and stands about 60 - 70 cm high about 50 cm wide and about 40 cm deep. It doesn’t look like a normal Telstra Cabinet and so could be hard to see or perhaps recognise, in fact when it was being put in we thought it was a power box for the street lighting. Our Node is about 700 m from the normal Telstra type cabinet and we have underground services , I would guess, similar to your’s.

I will take a picture of the Node in the next couple of days and post it here for your reference.

Also if you are interested in when a rollout commenced, is to commence, or has been finished this document from Telstra Wholesale may interest you:

1 Like

This node cabinet (see photo) is not in my street (no cabinets in my street), it is about 300 metres away. Using “Dial Before You Dig” information I can see that the Telstra pit nearest to me is labelled as OC[6mm] - what does this mean? The line leading to this pit is marked 2xOC[4mm], ditto the line leading away from this pit. There are no Telstra pillars on the DBYD diagram for my street.
On the Telstra DBYD diagram my property is labelled “P50” and “OC[6mm]” - not “P50 1.0” and “OC[10mm]” like some properties

in the street. The legend says that P50 means a 50mm PVC conduit. This pit feeds my property and another, and also contains copper to continue on to other properties in the street.

1 Like

OC means other carrier/s so 2xOC means 2 other carriers. P50 does mean the inside diameter of the conduit carrying the cables is 50 mm. What the 1.0 means I could only guess that it may be another type of conduit with the same internal diameter. P50 is typically what is used to cross under roads.

Forgot to add when you see the OC 4mm that is what the other carrier takes up in the conduit diameter wise eg 6 mm means 6 mm diameter of cable/s.

5 Likes

Here is another photo of an NBN cabinet undergoing some kind of work. It’s interesting because it gives insight into the interior of the cabinet and other potential factors influencing the NBN rollout etc 

2 Likes

You bet it does
 I’m not on it. The suburbs around me are not on it. We apparently don’t exist for the NBN.

My understanding is that my area will be one of the last of the last - and this gives me some hope. I hope that the NBN people have a clue by the time they get here; I hope for a change of government, and proper technology; I hope that all the current problems will be gone.

You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one
I hope someday you’ll join us
on an Australia-wide high quality fibre-to-the-premises network that includes decent pipes to the rest of the world and is not just playing Tony politics Abbott and wasting Malcolm our taxes Turnbull.

(I may have inserted an extremely subtle code into the quote above.)

4 Likes

2 meters is the magic distance for really cheap ADSL. :smiley:

5 Likes