With NBN, distance from node determines speed

A FOI request (lodge one with NBNCo) can usually elicit an answer when it is non forthcoming in any other way as since 11 June 2011 the FOI Act applied to the Company and the nbn itself. Also a complaint to ACMA is a worthwhile effort (this will generally not get an answer but it certainly adds to the NBNCo growing list of complaints) as it will influence what will happen in the future re legislation and processes.

Contact with the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman may not get a response either but it will add to the list similar to the ACMA one. Then there is the contact with the Ministers responsible for Telecommunications (Senator the Hon. Mitch Fifield, Senator the Hon. Bridget McKenzie) and the local Federal members both Senate and House of Reps can yield fruit.

While these processes are/can be cumbersome they may get a better response than what has already been forthcoming. When contacting the NBNCo it is always useful to do it in writing/email as I note @vombatis has done and add in that if no response is forthcoming that the request under FOI will follow (which may be different to their past communications). As a consumer give a reasonable time frame for response eg 7 or 14 days (5 or 10 business days) and if no answer fire off the FOI.

Node information may be treated as sensitive information and could be withheld under those provisions but I think that is a bit of a stretch unless you were asking which Node supplies the PM’s house or similar high profile person or business.

Again as I mentioned I would start the NBN connection anyway by getting the connection at the lowest “guaranteed” speed ie 25/5 for most connections. Then step up the tiers until a limit of speed had been reached…most FTTN/FTTC should get to the 50/20 tier and a smattering of others may get the 100/40 and a small group will be at or close to the 25/5 package as their limit.

Trying to get speed info before connecting is generally not productive for reasons I have outlined previously.

If FTTN, it is no better to know where the node is before connecting than after the connection has taken place. The node may help get a rough idea of possible speeds but the reality of how the far copper travels to your home can be much longer or in a worse state of repair than what the node’s placement can indicate.

If the travel is much further or the copper is too degraded a user may think to sign up for 100/40 based on placement. This may achieve 50/20 or 25/5 and as the guarantee is only for 25/5 then the user won’t get any rectification of the line and will just have to reduce their speed tier. The outcome will be that the user has paid out for a 100/40 plan in the first month rather than a 25/5 or a 50/20 plan. The unlimited traffic is probably the more important issue when signing up and determining the traffic needs eg do you want/need unlimited traffic or is some set limit a better choice. Speed then is something to mull on after getting the package.

If FTTP or FTTC then the speed may be something to consider before signing but @vombatis seems to be indicating it is a FTTN area and so my advice is sign up at 25/5 and see if more speed is attainable after rather than expecting to know before line length or quality is known. Once connected on FTTN then a more accurate line length (or the “determined” line length) can be ascertained by the RSP when they can conduct proper testing of the connection.

4 Likes