Wireless internet

For a dynamic (non-static) IP address, yes, but that isn’t what the post said. The post said private IP address (as distinct from public IP address). DDNS will not help if you have a private IP address, whether it is static or dynamic.

What bugs me is that, in 2022, ISPs are still saying this. Just do IPv6 already - and then there will never again be a need for NAT.

It is possible that that is what your ISP means … both IPv4 and IPv6 are available but IPv4 is behind NAT while IPv6 of course is not. You tell us.

Probably yes but not a lot.

There are probably some hackers who specifically target static IP address ranges because those are more likely to be running servers.

On the other hand, there are a lot of hackers who just try all IP addresses regardless.

I know from experience every day that static IP addresses are targeted with attacks against known weaknesses or known attack points that only really make sense against J. Random home user with a dynamic IP address. So I think there are a lot of hackers just trying all IP addresses.

(I do also see attacks against known weaknesses that only really make sense against businesses. There are just a lot of attacks.)

The single biggest factor would be … a successful hack will bring increased probability of further hacks. :wink:

The ideal scenario is that your router supports DDNS out of the box. Just enable it in the router, choosing the service provider that you went with in the pull-down menu.

So … starting point … read the User Guide for your router to see whether it even supports DDNS.

If you have a public IP then, yes, that can be an alternative, at the whim of the ISP. Some ISPs will only offer a static IP address on a business plan. You would have to ask your ISP.

IP address change creates an outage on each change too. So a business is unlikely to want DDNS if offering many services. Many business these days though will have outsourced the services or at least put them on the cloud anyway, so remote access is one of the few things that they would still definitely want a static IP address for.

Good point. That can happen with a static IP address too and, yes, it can be a total pain getting off a blacklist.

2 Likes

AHA! I wonder if thats what happened to me… I was suddenly unable to access most of the web for no apparent reason. My provider was unable to help beyond giving me a static (and different) IP and setting my DNS to Google’s.

1 Like