Window coverings; curtains, blinds, awnings etc,

My balcony door and window cop the full force of the afternoon sun in summer. I have a pull down canvas blind that covers about 90% of the glass and it makes an appreciable difference. It had to get body corporate approval.

6 Likes

I used to work for the company that makes Luxaflex Blinds, and know quite a lot about the technical differences between the different types of blinds (just saying, so you know the advice following is not just an opinion.) I checked the current website, and their commercial website too, but the type of technical info you want isn’t there.
As already noted by others, an external blind or awning will keep out more heat than an internal blind, but in a unit that’s not always an option.
Cellular blinds and blockout curtains with an enclosed pelmet are the next best products.
Of the cellular blinds types available, the ones with a reflective lining or with a double cell construction will insulate best. Next best is single cell with a white backing. The sheer ones, that let you see out, are not suitable for your needs.
Cellular blinds are quite a bit more expensive than other blinds, but much more effective than any blinds with gaps between the fabric (like verticals and venetians) or gaps at the sides (like roller blinds fitted in a window recess).
Timber or plastic plantation shutters are also quite effective insulators, but again they are quite a bit more expensive than products like roller blinds.
Whatever you decide on, make sure it has a white or very light colour, or a metallic coating facing the window for maximum heat reflection.

4 Likes

If you are attaching anything to the external wall of the building (even if on a balcony you will almost certainly need strata approval, not just for the actual blind but possibly also the colour, style and even fire rating.

I am on the top floor of a 3 storey block also facing west. I had external blinds but because of a fire audit by local council, all of us had to remove the existing blinds - some of which had been there for years. We are now awaiting council approval of a particular blind before we can replace what we had to take down. As a result, any future external blinds will have to comply with the council requirements so strata will have to approve any new owner’s request for blinds.

1 Like

@mikeandglenda
@syncretic
@PhilT
@meltam
@phb
@neonlights
@rmg.s
@pamelanorth4

Thanks so much for your tips.

I don’t want to have to turn a light on during the day so might opt for light coloured doubled cellular blinds because I believe foil blocks all incoming light.

Also assume cellular blinds not suitable for kitchens…hence plantation shutters. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

I’ll contact strata re permission for adjustable awning to attach externall as my balcony gets piping hot too. Otherwise, I’ll apply for external pull down canvas blinds . :crossed_fingers:

Thanks again.

Lisa (Kittycat)

5 Likes

Also look into ease of cleaning. A kitchen produces oil vapours and other volatile compounds which deposit on things, including blinds/window covers if they are installed internally. The deposited oils traps dust and can be difficult to keep clean.

I was also thinking that another option may be shutters/blinds installed between double glazed windows. This is better than internal installations, and a compromise to external blinds…and be more acceptable to a body corporate as they won’t be as obvious externally. This is an example (noting for photos only and not an endorsement of the company or their products). I expect that such products may not be cheap, but may be one worth looking into.

4 Likes

Following on to @phb’s reply, cellular blinds are usually a porous fabric whether or not they have a metallic backing. They can be fragile and getting a professional cleaner can be very expensive.

Bottom line, not for a kitchen as a matter of practicality.

3 Likes

The cellular blinds made by Luxaflex are really sturdy - you can’t rip them, and the fabric is easily wiped down (not porous). I can’t vouch for other brands. I don’t work there any more, so I don’t have any vested interest, but we used to do demos of scrunching up the fabric and washing it all the time, because they look fragile when in fact they are anything but.
If they are directly behind a stove, for sure there is the issue of oil and vapours leaving a deposit on the fabric, and a plastic plantation blind might be better (not timber) because it is easier to wipe clean. Anywhere else in the kitchen it would be fine.

3 Likes

It’s true that the lined blinds block out light. Whatever you decide on, if you block out more light you will block out more heat. It’s a trade-off.

3 Likes

No it allows you to see out. I suspect the one I have allows much more light in than cellular blinds.

Grease and oil from cooking in the kitchen would deposit on these blinds and it will need regular cleaning.

2 Likes