Why is the Federal Lib Govt trying to punish the Retirees/ Pensioners

The Liberal government of the day are reducing benefits to pensioners right now with very little sympathy to the people it effects. The age of entitlement is over they are telling us, if they they paid all pensioners what the politicians are receiving there would be no discontent from the aging population. This treatment will leave the door open for extreme parties like One Nation to make headway in the polls as you will see in upcoming Western Australian election.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think the government of the day is looking after pensioners rights, just finding an easy avenue to recover taxes. I have voted liberal in the past but are disalusioned by this government.

I agree but further would say that I am disillusioned with all political parties here in Australia. Good goverance is a lost artā€¦all of us can list the many governmental failures ie ever reducing educational standards, underperforming national health system, overworked police, fire fighters and nursing staff, inept and unaccountable public servants. We are over governed by the overpaid and self indulgent political class - not a statesman in the lot of them! We are told that we get the politicians we deserve but it would be more truthful to say that we only get to choose from the the least qualified and those most likely to least represent our needs and wishes! Please, someone start a political party that remembers honesty and service to the electorate!

3 Likes

They wouldnā€™t get elected sorry to say as we have become so conditioned by the current parties :frowning:

1 Like

Politiciansā€™ lurks are costing us over half a BILLION dollars a year - thatā€™s about $2,250,000 per MP per year ON TOP OF THEIR SALARIES, and then they get a very generous pension starting the day they leave parliament. Itā€™s past time the pollies income, lurks & perks were tied to what they expect from the rest of Australia.

4 Likes

I could not agree more with your sentiments, when a government is struggling with passing legislation it should be dissolved, but no it struggles along making secret deals with politicians that hold the balance of power. To me that is not following the will of the people and not serving their best interests. It also shows that they want to stay in power at any cost. Western Australia has changed to Labor nso we will see how that works out.

1 Like

Dangerous ground in some ways. Every piece of legislation should be tested as to itā€™s merits before it becomes law. If there are concerns then they, the bills before parliament, should have ample opportunity to be amended. Rubber-stamping is not a good practice. Many of the reasons we have problems at the moment is not because of balance of power but rather because of Party politics which we suffer under.

3 Likes

My original point was that pensioners should not be treated as a minority part of the population and most of us are not garga and unable to cast our vote, the baby boomers are retiring now in big numbers and should not put up with government using them as a soft target for cutting benefits People have worked hard all their lives and they find that the government of the day takes away those benefits to Ballance the budget.

2 Likes

I would like to know why isnā€™t the party of the day held accountability because when they go to the election we are told one thing and vote for them then they change the ball game they cause the problems always give themselves a pay rise and we donā€™t have a say in. They donā€™t put this in ther election give themselves what they want and when they get caught out OH! He will will pay it back it was a mistake. This does not stand up for you or me two different laws.

2 Likes

RANT/ I think that if a member of parliament knowingly votes for a Bill that passes; that is dangerous, unfair, or breaches human rights they should be held accountable while in and even after they leave parliament. If the Law is struckdown or repealed because it endangers human life or rights, that member after they have retired should be stripped of all pensions, made to pay back their salaries and rights of retirement and be subject to incarceration. If in parliament they should be forced to retire without benefits and made to pay back the salary they have received after the Bill had been made law. If they have died their estate should be made to pay it back. But as they set the rules this will not happen but if it was they certainly would be careful how they voted. /END OF RANT

2 Likes