Why are ALDI Avocados $1 in NSW and $1.79 in WA?

WA has avocado farms from tip to toe, maybe all Australian States do? But how come there is such a price difference? Is this also true of many other ALDI goods?

I know from personal experience, that WA often has to wait many weeks for specials to arrive, by then of course unannounced. That many never offer the whole range, only black m/cycle and bike helmets, perfect for WA sunshine when outdoors! Only warm white globes for both interior and garden use, maybe West Australian have better eye sight than those over east? Currently WA has ample stocks of Ski wear, presumably for the Porongurups, that sometimes gets a sprinkle at best!

Is this true of the other major retailers, that WA subsidises the eastern States?

1 Like

It can be. Aldi does not have a uniform or national pricing policy for fresh fruit and vegetables. It can charge what it believes customers are wiling to pay for fresh fruit and vegetables, like any other retailer. It appears that in WA, it believes that consumers are willing to pay more for their avocados.

WA doesnā€™t subsidise the eastern states for food items. Take avocados for example. If Aldi uses a supplier based in the eastern states, there are considerable transportation costs to handle and freight avocadoes to WA (4000km or more). If they use a local WA supplier of avocados, the local market costs for production may be greater which is reflected in the WA price.

Other factors including supply and demand can also affect local prices for fresh food items.

3 Likes

I donā€™t see Choice as a defender of retailers. We all know the arguments retailers, like politicians, use. Instead lets see members here, coming up with reasons for why consumers ought to get a better deal, whether they are in WA or elsewhere.

I donā€™t know how it is possible to do that under all circumstances. Taking the example of a retailer charging different prices in different locations there is no basis in law (or custom for that matter) to campaign on that. There are situations when location is used as an excuse to overcharge, the ā€œAustralia Taxā€ has been dealt with at length. There are also situations where it is quite reasonable to vary prices with location because costs are different. To insist that all specials must be available simultaneously nationwide is asking a bit much.

Nor do I but we do need to keep in mind that not every situation that we disapprove of is the retailersā€™ fault, or even anyoneā€™s fault. If we are not selective about picking campaigns that have value then the organisationā€™s reputation will decline with every pointless or unreasonable campaign.

4 Likes

You can get better deals. Shop around. Donā€™t assume Aldi are the cheapest place to buy things or it is in business to be your friend.

When we lived in Brisbane where there was Aldi, we predominately shopped at independent fruit and vege grocers and Asian family supermarkets and butchers. We often told friends what we bought things for and they were amazed how cheap we would buy our fruit, vege and meat. Some only shopped at Woollies, some Coles, some Aldi and some a range of different supermarkets chasing ā€˜specialsā€™.

None of our friends could beat the prices we could get at the independentsā€¦some used to come shopping with me to also enjoy the savingsā€¦and to give me company.

Shopping around is easy to doā€¦and one shouldnā€™t assume the hype of advertising or social media to where it is best to shop.

Choice generally compares the major supermarkets on standard item pricingā€¦as it is difficult for them to compare every supermarket or grocery store to see where it is best to shop. Choiceā€™s surveys are relevant particularly when most consumers shop at the majors most of the time for their groceries.

In Tassie we face a different shopping environment to Brisbane, where quality is usually superior, but so is the price. We still tend to buy as much as possible at independent, family run green grocer/grocery stores away from the shopping centres as they are cheaper and usually have fresh products which are in season significantly less than at the supermarkets (noting we donā€™t have Aldi in Tassie).

2 Likes

Have you complained to Aldi formally ie an Email or a Letter? Have you contacted your friends in WA who shop at Aldi to do the same?

Reasons vary for geographic pricing, but Avos are mostly price controlled by their organisation and Aldi buy produce many times locally where they can get supply. This means in WA they may be paying the WA price not the Qld, NSW, Vic, SA price as set by their Avocado association, and this may be the place to complain to. Note they are not at all likely to comply.

As an aside why did my friends pay such a huge price for basic sandwiches in Perth compared to Brisbaneā€¦answer is that the business could charge what they liked.

As to Ski gear, all the Aldis over here have it as well including the Sunshine Coast, this is their Winter gear sale, if you have no need for it it is easy to walk past I find.

2 Likes