Which spray-on stain remover works best?

CHOICE tested nine sprays and found the cheapest one performed the best. We also tested a number of pricey powders.

View the results for all the stain removers we tested for free.

3 Likes

…and this is why I’m a Choice member. I reckon I’m in front money wise by buying recommended products. Hell, I was miles in front after buying one of your recommended vacuum cleaners not long after joining. Thanks guys :smiley:

5 Likes

Which one did you buy?

1 Like

Hi Therese, the model we bought was a Miele C1 Compact. Godfreys were selling them for about $320 at the time (earlier in the year) and we snapped ours up during one of their sales for $199. The Choice Vacuum Cleaner page has since been updated and our exact model isn’t there anymore. The wife almost enjoys doing the vacuuming with this machine.

1 Like

Thank you very much! M

I have found rubbing Aldi Tandil ultra dishwashing liquid into an old olive oil stain on a t shirt (that not even Di San would remove )and then pouring boiling hot water straight from the kettle and soaking it for ten minutes then washing it in washing machine removed the stain. I haven’t tried other dishwashing liquids or pouring boiling water over Di San stain remover sprayed on a similar stain ,meaning it may have one or the other the Tandil or just the addition of boiling water ,but I have rescued a number of stained t- shirts from the rubbish bin using this method.

2 Likes

Sard wasn’t in the test. Both spray and stick work well. The Vanish paste trick works well too. I’ll bet a lot of dishwashing liquids would work if applied neat. And don’t forget saliva for an immediate fix if you get pasta sauce etc on you in the restaurant or on a plane (or at home for that matter). A good suck with a decent amount of spit in your mouth works wonders.

1 Like

Sard was present from what I could see but was present as two powders and not a spray. Both powders failed to get a Recommended status.

We’ve updated our stain remover review. See the latest results here:

2 Likes

Stain remover results are in for 2019:

2 Likes

Based on that, I’ll grab some Aldi stuff next time I am there. I currently use a dab-on from Dylon. ONly good for spot staining really.

2 Likes

For those who would like a little extra detail, here’s a closer look at the best and worst stain removers:

3 Likes

@BrendanMays, I was just looking at a Choice review of a carpet stain remover and thought you may wish to change the score given its current price as displayed on the Choice website.

2 Likes

Thanks for the report. Should be working correctly now - that would be one expensive spray!

2 Likes

We’ve tested a fresh batch of stain removers :man_scientist: :woman_scientist:

See our stain remover review table or skip to the best and worst products.

2 Likes

:joy: the wife ALMOST enjoys vacuuming. Maybe you should give it a go. You might DEFINITELY enjoys vacuuming

Very recently moved in to an old, beat-up flat that I LOVE. Had to give my washing-machine to the Sallies because there are no taps here - but there is a “communal laundry” (right next to my flat - how lucky am I ?!). But as I have zero knowledge of the machinery’s efficacy, I went hunting for a pre-wash stain remover, and what did I find …? - almost nothing.
This is apparently a household item that’s moribund: I expect it to be dead by next year.
WHAT IS GOING ON ???

What sort… spray, powder or soap bar?

Choice has reviewed pre-stain removers in the past (member content)…

Some don’t rate better than water with detergent added.

We use sunlight soap, which okay on most stains. Wet the stain, rub the soap bar on the stain (it goes orange with soap), rub until lather forms, then wash. Harder stains we soak in a nappy/soaking detergent in hot water and leave overnight. The mix, solution and all, is then added to a normal wash.

We don’t buy sprays anymore, and maybe others do likewise if you have noticed them disappearing from the shelves. Gone are the days of the hydrocarbon based stain removers which shifted everything. These have possibly become extinct as the contaminate waste water.

2 Likes

Useful stuff there - many thanks ! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
I suppose I must’ve been thinking of spray - you know, with triggers, not spray cans. But now that I think back, they weren’t satisfactory.
Like the sound of napisan or whatever. Ta muchly !

1 Like

Erhmm … nappy-soaking detergent ? Is that still produced ??