Which do you prefer when travelling? POLL šŸ›Œ

I prefer to know that there is an established level of accountability, redress for any problems, and a structure in place which has substance rather than a perhaps transitory and unreliable one person operation. When I travel it is important that my holidays are not spoiled by avoidable issues - and these are less likely in an established business.

5 Likes

I usually use Trip Advisor to choose accommodation that meets my needs at the time, then use their links to make my booking. My real preference is million+ star accommodation, 'cos nothing beats camping in the bush. I used Airbnb in New Zealand at a mateā€™s suggestion - and in most cases, it worked out fine. I have no issue with Airbnb, itā€™s just that my non-camping road trips are usually, ā€œdrive until youā€™ve had enough, then look for a place to stayā€. That doesnā€™t work with Airbnb.

3 Likes

When travelling overseas I get my travel agent to book the tour of my choice, and the hotels included have been top of the list so far, central position, well catered and serviced.
Interstate: I have a look at TripAdvisor or Booking.com, etc,. and look for a Serviced apartment in a central position because I save a lot by doing my own catering and laundry. Over Christmas I stayed at one off Martin Place, Sydney, and could walk to the harbour, the shops, and enjoy the Christmas Carols and other events in the City centre, and most bus tours to the Blue Montains etc,. start in the city centreā€¦and best of all be at walking distance to the Sydney Harbour Bridge fireworks New Yearā€™s Eve!

2 Likes

I find this very disturbing

2 Likes

Iā€™ve used both. As a single, older female, I wasnā€™t fussed on the Airbnb experience. Two out of three places I visited, I couldnā€™t wait to get out of there. These were dwellings that were separate from the owners houseā€¦eg granny flats, but I still didnā€™t feel entirely comfortable, or safe. I was travelling with my dogs, so in that respect Airbnb is a great option, but without them, I would have felt a lot more insecure.
Making the booking with Airbnb was sometimes a bit trickyā€¦especially when the ā€œcheapā€ room has a huge cleaning fee! All is not as it seems.
As for the alternative booking sites, such as Stayz, etcā€¦I generally just use these as a guide and then contact the Hotel directly.
Not sure if Iā€™ve really answered your question hereā€¦

5 Likes

Like many others, I do not use either of these. Prefer to use trip advisor and utilise frequent flyer / stayer programs and always book directly with the hotel. I prefer the personal touch of dealing direct - paves the way for a warm welcome and ensures special requests are met (eg high floor and away from the lift) and especially important if I am travelling with my elderly parents and there are special assistance needs.

4 Likes

Hereā€™s an article from @AliceRichard on scoring the best accommodation deal, check out the article and find find some tips from CHOICE staff when they travel. Please keep voting and leaving your thoughts as this will be an ongoing area of interest.

3 Likes

I use the online sites to get a best price quote then I ring the accommodation and arrange the booking with them using the online value as the starting point for the price. If I do it this way I feel I am giving more value to the business as they donā€™t have to pay a commission to the booking site for my stay. It often has worked out (not always but enough to be significant) that the accommodation has then offered a superior experience eg a room upgrade, later check out time, or a better meal deal than if I had booked via the online sites.

9 Likes

Neither!
We prefer to stay in conventional accommodation eg apartment hotels and always book direct with the place; we find tripadvisor helpful (as well as entertaining at times).
As we have a wheelchair user in our family, we need accurate and detailed information about the facilities that is best obtained direct. It would be great if accommodation websites provided more detail in this regard.

4 Likes

For one or two nights I prefer hotels which I phone and negotiate with directly. All the hotels I have asked, have told me that if I check a price on the online booking sites, they will beat it if I book direct with them. Otherwise for more than a couple of nights, I hunt down an apartment. Country travel I check into a cabin in a caravan park, inevitably immaculate, quiet, cheap and comfortable. My other tip, as a solo traveller, is always to book as a ā€˜coupleā€™ otherwise I have found I get given the nastiest little room under the stairs or with no windows, or next to the lift.

4 Likes

I wouldnā€™t use airBnB (or hotels.com.au) if it were the last booking site on Earth - but then I refuse to use third-party site full stop after having been burned one too many times by so-called 'reputable" third-part sites ā€œlosingā€ my booking and payment and not actually booking with the hotel I had booked with. I rocked up, confirmation in hand, to be told by the hotel they did NOT have a booking for me, nor did they receive any payment for my ā€œconfirmedā€ booking. After flying interstate and arriving after dark, I then had to find somewhere that had a vacancy (big international conference week), and not only was I out of pocket for the original non-booking (which I never got back) but more than double that for a new room further from the conference with worse facilities. So now I ONLY book direct with the provider I wish to use. Period.

6 Likes

Excellent point! When you have stayed in a BnB you like on several occasions, you know what to expect and the hosts are always happy to have you as a repeat customer, as they know you can be trusted.

I have found two near Perth which were consistently reliable and have repeatedly visited. This process can be hit and miss, but that applies to any unknown venue.

3 Likes

Absolutely true. Way to save money, and possibly get a room upgrade as well!

A former colleague used to phone hotels on Friday and ask if their honeymoon suite was free. He would often get a huge discount, as the room would go unsold otherwise, and took his girlfriends there to impress them.

1 Like

I find that Airbnb added charges: cleaning etc up the price to be about the same as a hotel. Airbnb is good for a longer stay ā€“ hotels for one or two nights. I like booking.com because the website is much easier to use and has more complete information.

4 Likes

I used AirBnB in Colombo, it was clean and safe, however the owner was not there. i was locked out and could not open the gate, a neighbour helped me with the gate and as iwas drenched from heavy rain.

2 Likes

Not sure if I would be the same. Just the thought of the likely history of the bed would make me cringe.:wink: