Which do you prefer when travelling? POLL šŸ›Œ

I search motels/ hotels in the area and then log on to the websites of those that appeal, e.g. by location, facilities, price. Then I ring direct to check availability and price. I have found some great places and deals this way. We are not keen on air bnb - some not good experiences of friends and family

2 Likes

I completely agree. Two more comments: (1) in South America, a hotel denied getting the booking.com reservation and was full and (2) I stay at 3-star hotels and avoid the big tourist hotels which are more likely to be the target of terrorists.

2 Likes

Like others, I donā€™t use either or at least not regularly. Domestically I call the accomodation direct & internationally I get my travel agent to book them on my research &/or suggestions. Also, Iā€™ve built a rapport with my regular hotel in Perth & get much better pricing tham through third-party sites.

4 Likes

We use both Airbnb and booking.com etc. depending on the type of travel. Weā€™ve already booked Airbnb in France and England this year. I like the Airbnb thing now because as weā€™re getting older, itā€™s good to have space and a kitchen to make breakfasts and snacks, but tend to use hotels in European capital cities as there are fewer surprises. When booking hotels, we go for cheaper hotels, aiming for mid-range hotel bargains found on the web, sometimes using booking.com and sometimes direct if itā€™s recommended by friends.

4 Likes

Am I right that there seems to be a clear divide appearing? So far, the responses seem to be leaning towards not using booking services for domestic travel, but using them for overseas.

3 Likes

none of the above,
always try to book direct so as NOT to pay multinationals inordinate commissions for doing not much.

3 Likes

Like a few others, I too am too poor to travel. I did tick Airbnb presuming it was the cheaper option. Also, some friends used them and were very happy with it.
However, when I do travel, I usually stay with friends or relatives, although I would certainly prefer not to.
If I was going to go somewhere that I needed to find accommodation, I would check everything possible on line, both for reviews and prices and then decide. I would then call the place direct, both to save them money and to see if I could get a discount by booking direct.

4 Likes

My partner and I prefer to have a place that feels more like a home with the option of self catering with local produce. This is particularly relevant in Australia, NZ or Europe. So we use Stays and somtimes airbnb. However in countries like India, Sri Lanka we prefer Booking .com because food is cheap and self catering is not so easy.

2 Likes

Booking site or direct depending on the destination & moreover specials & terms. Found a couple of times the booking site had a better deal than direct &/or allowed book now pay later whereas direct had to be paid up front.

Registered & have come close to booking ABB domestic but didnā€™t go through with it. Not sure that is a sure choice as I expect B&B is often a similar experience so I donā€™t think weā€™d have a problem with ABB but just found same or better options with businesses.

Again came very close last year for NZ Queenstown snow trip but ABB largely are not on shuttle run routes, more out of town, bla bla - youā€™d have to hire a carā€¦ nahh

3 Likes

I use these hotel sites to see whatā€™s available, the cost, location and also reviews. Then I go directly to the hotel and see whatā€™s available directly with them. Nine times out of 10 I then book and pay directly with them. I have even done this for overseas locations by contacting the hotel, guest house etc directly through the website, then communicating with them without needing the website as an intermediary.

4 Likes

I have used airbnb in Aus twice when i needed to stay in suburbs that lacked accommodation - and they both worked out well - but maybe just a one-off.
I dont like the antiseptic atmosphere - and often chemical smells - of hotels, so use only when unavoidable.

Thanks to help from friends , in Indonesia i use student-style accomodation (kos) unless only a very short stay.
Kos are pay by the month, and very variable, from damp and mouldy with very basic WC, to western toilet with hot shower and comfy bed. Private WC, no cleaning service, and usually shared cooking facilities. For that i pay equivalent of 4
nights in a 2-3 star hotel in that region, per month. So I am happy!

4 Likes

Prefer hotels booked on line as I have problems walking too far and need to be central. When I was younger it would have definitely been Airbnb.

4 Likes

AirBnb is not restricted to less accessible locationā€¦our international experience indicates they usually also have centralised locations near transport hubs and areas of interestā€¦havenā€™t used in Australia so others might be able to comment on a local context.

It is worth looking at in conjunction to other traditional forms of accommodation booking and specific booking websites.

3 Likes

Neither. Iā€™ve had terrible experiences with Expedia and Booking.com with mix-ups and cancellation of confirmed reservations.

Because I travel extensively, I book direct with the property wherever possible. I find theyā€™ll take more notice of requests and sometimes offer complimentary room upgrades.

5 Likes

if iā€™m going somewhere for a holiday, i prefer to stay in someone elseā€™s home rather than a hotel, as itā€™s cheaper and much nicer. If i could book direct with the owner rather than through a website, i do. Joining up with a swap club is good also.

4 Likes

I, like a few of the others donā€™t trust Trivago or those sorts of booking agents but rather do our own selection of either hotel or B&B or, in most cases, let our travel agent do the selection.

3 Likes

As many others have advised, we prefer to stay in a good motel, and to book directly with the provider.

And now that we have our new puppy, we look for pet friendly places.

5 Likes

It depends on the location (Country, City, etcā€¦), the number of days, the number in the party and availability.
I will try and book direct with operator but sometimes, it is too much trouble.
If doing multiple bookings Booking.com provides a good list of bookings & info.
AirBNB can be a pain with costs & charges, which seem to change by the hourā€¦ Also they like to show places which are no where near where you want to book.
Unfortunately this space is becoming controlled by 2 large corporations giving providers no option. or room to move.

4 Likes

We ask the advice of our travel agent. He is very good.
Michael Barnett

2 Likes

Definately a Hotel, Motel or apartment with accommodation licences as they have ā€˜rulesā€™ to abide with ie Fire regulations etc. In a lot of areas the Registered accommodation pay dearer Rates, dearer insurance etc. Do not like the ā€˜unregisteredā€™ places that do not pay these charges and often undercut the registered places. Unfair advantage.

2 Likes