When is a Debit a Credit Transaction?

I use ANZ standard account card to pay at Aldi by PayWave and never was yet charged any surcharge. The card has a Visa logo on it and can be used overseas for purchases.

Two years later, I have no objection with being charged 0.5% credit card fee at Aldi. There are signs everywhere, so you canā€™t say you didnā€™t know. As most purchases are less than $100, the fee to me is negligible, and most of the time, I canā€™t be bothered selecting Savings and entering the pin, just to save 50 cents

My biggest irritation is with other companies and their card fees. Since the RBA and ACCC cracked down on these fees, the big companies are more transparent and the fees have reduced. However, with smaller food businesses I use (cafes, bakeries), fees seem to be more prevalent and a fee often added with no advance warning, and which seems to be much higher than what the ACCC had deemed to be a fair rate.

Just recently, we ordered from the local Thai restaurant. Usually, we use Menulog and pre-pay and pick up the order, and to my knowledge, I have never noticed an extra fee. This time, as we wanted to use a savings account to pay, we ordered directly from the restaurant. As soon as I showed I was paying by card, an extra fee was added (but no idea what the fee was). I asked why there was a fee as I was using EFTPOS (and held up the machine to show that), and was advised there was a different fee for EFTPOS, although no attempt was made to cancel the transaction and do a new transaction with the lower fee included.

I have also noticed that many car parks around Brisbane (example hospital car parks) are now advertising credit card fees at or exceeding 3%. At least they are upfront with the fee, but usually you canā€™t avoid them. I do consider the fee to be high as the ACCC website suggests anything over 1.5% is excessive. Considering how much the parking is in the first place, surely the fee could be absorbed, as most users would pay by card anyway.

Donā€™t get me started on ATM feesā€¦

3 Likes