What's the worst advice you have received?

Have you read or seen some bad advice in the form of ‘hackz’, or tips that just do not make real sense? I was reading an article the other day that made the suggestion that if people want to be more well off financially, they should just earn more money. Perhaps that’s not a lie but it wasn’t the most practical or helpful tip I could imagine.

If you’ve seen some bad advice or been on the receiving end of a troublesome tip, share it in this thread. Remember, we’re talking consumer-related topics here.

6 Likes

Didn’t one of our federal politicians suggest (a few elections ago) that people can just go out and get a better paying job?

7 Likes

:smile: Yeah, I think there has been a lot of that type of logic. Some suggest that going out and getting a second job is the answer… While I have utmost respect those hardworking individuals who manage two jobs to stretch to achieve a particular goal, I’m not sure this is the long-term path that we should be encouraging.

4 Likes

Why is that the worst advice? It is appalling our economy works that way, but it does reflect reality. It is long known in the US you can be a loyal and top employee with a decade experience and they will employ a new hire straight out of university with a higher starting salary than you have, and they will not negotiate yours any higher. If you don’t respond with your feet what does that imply? You vote with your feet and your next employer has more than likely offered you a higher start that their long serving staff.

It is an ugly cycle, but is a fact of capitalism. In our environment we have award rates, but they are sometimes pay levels one can not go below, and the most talented in many industries are able to attract above award rates; and some businesses will offer above award rates to get the best.

That advice should not be necessary, the employer-employee pay relationship should not be so, but it is. So is walking from a low paying job bad advice when it is possible? And I accept for many changing jobs is neither possible nor even an option, especially in the regions.

3 Likes

The worst advice I have ever received was ‘Trust me.’ Who hasn’t had that advice and regretted taking it sometime during their life?

6 Likes

I had someone suggest putting a peg on my nose as a solution for suspected sleep apnoea. Doesn’t seem comfortable or logical!

3 Likes

@PhilT @Peterchu :joy: , great examples. Another tricky one, just ‘be yourself’.

2 Likes

Worst advice I ever had? “If you want to lose weight, have a cigarette instead of snacks”. I was not a smoker. I became a smoker. I lost a ton of weight in a short time. Then regained it in a short time plus some, and continued to do so for years. That advice was given at a time the cigarette companies knew how damaging their product was, and chose to keep the information to themselves. I was well hooked within a year. It took another 30 years to quit.

5 Likes