What steps can we take to protect koalas?

Continuing the discussion from this thread, what steps can we take to impact the issue of koala extinction from a consumer perspective?

We realise this is an emotive issue, so please take care follow our guidelines to be respectful to one another in your discussions.

Some further reading:

6 Likes

One of the biggest threats to koala is loss of habitat for both urban development and agriculture. Shrinking habitat pushes koala (and other wildlife) together (often into ‘habitat islands’) making them easier prey for

Another major thread is cats and dogs, both feral and wandering domestic pets.

What can consumers do, ensure that their pets are restrained at their houses and not let out, especially at night when most nocturnal animals are on the move.

In a past job, we used to raise the problem of unrestrained animals (particularly cats which are far more difficult to keep retained unless they are in an enclosure or within a house) as they caused the death of many koalas and other native wildlife. It is amazing how many cat owners immediately say that their cat isn’t restrained but doesn’t prey on wildlife. These owners were the problem and not part of the solution.

The other measure particularly for feral cats and dogs (and foxes) is to have eradication or control programs. In the current political environment, these are not discussed as there is often opposition from cat and dog lovers about such programs.

The last point in relation to pets and consumers is, if one doesn’t want to take the full responsibilities of owning a pet, one should seriously think about whether they should be buying one in the first place. Often pets where owners don’t take on the responsibility, become those animals which become a problem.

6 Likes

Here we go again. Cats are killing Koalas are they?

Yes they are. Cats regularly severely injure or kill koalas, particularly juvenile ones. They, along with dogs, are recognised as a threat to koalas.

They also kill possums, juvenile wombats, quolls (Quoll Farm on the ABC is worth watching) etc and those who work in rehabilitating injured wildlife to return them wild see the damage cats and dogs (and cars etc) do to the animals. I happened to speak to a wildlife carer last weekend who outlined the impacts unrestrained and feral cats on Australian wildlife. Some species, such as the Eastern Quoll has become locally extinct due to cats.

5 Likes

I believe the topic is about Koalas @phb, so talking about other species and their issues is irrelevant.
By far and away the greatest threat to Koalas is habitat degradation, due to various factors. Land clearing, forestry, bushfires, climate change. And the animals themselves eating out areas of gum trees due to overpopulation and having to be relocated. Being on roads and getting hit by cars is a pretty large problem as well.
I reckon in a contest between an adult Koala and a cat, the cat would come off second best. Seen the claws on them?

Not only, just one hazard amongst many.
The greater impact as @phb indicated is from Habitat loss, fragmentation, wild dogs, etc. There seems to be generally agreement.

Feral cats, and free roaming domestic cats.
Just consider them one of the most effective hunting and killing machines on 4 legs. Miniature lions. They are more than capable of taking down prey larger than they are. By observation around our backyard they do prefer daintier portions, leaving behind the scraps and random scats.

There is little doubt an average size koala would be within their the capabilities of those we have trapped. They are significantly larger, fitter, more powerful and astute than the average house cat. That’s how they survive. Lack of opportunity around here to prove the point.

Adult Koalas can range from less than 6kg up to 12kg, and are slow on the ground compared to a cat.

P.S.
Wild dogs and indeed domestic dogs left to roam at night are a significant concern. Fortunately most dogs are restrained at home.

5 Likes

Last seasons bushfires in the Eastern States caused very hot high intensity fast moving fires which killed an estimated 60,000+ koalas.
See:https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-18/ten-thousand-koalas-could-have-died-nsw-bushfires/11975378
Regular burn offs of forests reduces the intensity and speed of fires and allows koalas to climb trees and survive.
Is there any reason why this was not followed?

They were certainly very severe. They impacted much more than just the koala population, and the PM’s Hawaiian holiday. The impacts to other wildlife have endangered other species, caused tragically loss of life and property.

There are various experts on the best strategies to manage fire risk in the Australian environment. There are well understood needs and strategies.

My recollection is there have been numerous articles published by The ABC, The Guardian, Fact Check etc that searched for explanation. To what extent burn offs were followed is part of the discussion, as I recall. Which of the reports provides the best answers? I’ve not been able to decide.

The fires occurred at the end of an exceptionally long dry period, and when the more usual summer rain fall patterns were late. That’s my impression of how it was for us in SE Qld. It’s just one of the risk factors.

Recent Qld bush fires have impinged on Tropical Rainforest. This suggests that the problem is greater than simply a need for regular burn offs. Stressed schlerophyll forest (eucalypt - gum tree woodlands) responds to extended dry periods by dropping more foliage than usual. Soil moisture is decreased more than normal

Possibly the answer to your question includes aspects of climate, leadership and management?

One future:
In the absence of action, nature’s way of responding may be to adapt through the extinction of large portions of the forest environment (fauna included). The replacement ecosystems will be those that are more adapted to variability, long droughts and that support less diverse fauna favouring those able to escape fire.

1 Like

Like this?

1 Like

That’s probably one step further on. Hopefully not quite that stark. Not out of place if you are driving south from Alice?

1 Like

Or East or West and even a bit North West and North East, some more Northerly are semi arid with a bit more ground cover (though much of it spiny). When the Turpentine Trees and the cypress are suffering you know it’s bad.

1 Like

I believe one of the biggest steps is to maintain their habitats.
We are presently trying to fight both the Queensland State Government and the Gold Coast City Council ho are prepared to put a light rail system straight through one of the koala corridors between Burleigh Heads and Palm Beach. There have be many alternate options laid out but neither seems interested in protecting these iconic animals.

3 Likes

Whilst watching SBS TV, I noted the WWF save the koalas ads have now dropped any mention of how many trees they were claiming were cleared daily in Australia.

I assume that they have been called out.

They are still spruiking the “adorable cuddly” Chinese made junk koala toys.