What should we test about mattresses?

Ease of making the bed has become very important to me. A recent purchase resulted in a mattress (bought with matching sprung base) being almost impossible to make without causing pain in my moderately arthritic wrists. The mattress is quite heavy and has an extremely firm bottom edge which makes it very difficult to tuck bedding in. Also, I had to but new sheets as my current ones did not fit. Things I never thought about before, but need explaining more at retail points.

5 Likes

How long it takes before the Pillowtop starts to develop sags from body weight

I am 130 kg and I have mattress edge collapses, we need to have the mattresses rated for max. Weight!

3 Likes

Excellent to learn about the sagging phenomenon.

@PhilT, it is a good point. Mattresses have become thicker and standard sheets are nore difficult to fit. Maybe a test using standard sheet fitting would be good?

1 Like

I hate mattresses with pillow tops as they don’t last very long. My old mattress was able to be rotated and flipped regularly and this prolonged its life. P. S mattresses should have handles too to assist with rotation. Thanks

3 Likes

Consider if and how often the mattress requires turning. This can be a difficult job for people with arthritis or joint issues in their wrists and arms, or those with little upper arm strength, even when done with a partner.

3 Likes

I am also concerned about pillow-top mattresses. I don’t see how any mattress can last 10 years without being turned over. But is 10 years a real measure of the time the mattress should be able to function well, or just a convenient number that the industry uses? Considering the expense, the comfort issues involved, the likelihood that the model you have been so satisfied with for 10 years no longer exists so whether a new mattress needs a new base as well, buying a mattress is possibly the hardest decision we make. Lying on a mattress for 5 minutes is no guide to comfort or quality.

2 Likes

Most interpret a mattress warranty as a period it should provide good, comfortable service, but that is not the case. Evidence suggests that mattress warranties are nothing more than a marketing gimmick. If you look at what they cover it is essentially mechanical failure of the internals and framing, and everything else is normal wear and tear. Even then, the “pro rata” time in warranties and how you get credit generally delivers less than just buying a new mattress on sale.

2 Likes

That may also be good information as part of a test
the mattress weigh and whether the mattress has handles/easy to turn.

3 Likes

and how strong those handles are for the weight. Our Vheavy mattress has handles, but they are clear they are not intended for nor strong enough for lifting (eg for tucking sheets). They are for pulling it across the base for rotation, and one can hear the handle seams under stress if anything but a direct outward pull is applied. An angular pull and all bets are probably off.

2 Likes

I would like to see a category of mattress that does not have flame retardants or chemicals in it. I’m after a mattress that is organic that I don’t have to breathe in harmful chemicals or have them absorbed via my skin for years to come. I think this would be a very useful category.

3 Likes

My double mattress is so heavy - takes me 15-20 minutes to turn it.

I don’t understand this, sorry. What are “deep pockets” in or for fitted sheets, please?

Would love it if you also check the “new” concept mattresses such as Koala (I’ll volunteer for one!)

Deep pocket sheets are deeper than normal, especially in the corners, allowing them to stretch over thick mattresses, eg mattresses with pillow tops, gel mattresses, or mattresses with mattress toppers. They are also called “extra deep”. FWIW My gel mattress is about 400mm thick and the sheet is almost baggy but easy to stretch over and tuck under without lifting the mattress.

1 Like

Already done - re the koala

3 Likes

As a renter, that unfortunately, I am required to move almost yearly. I would like the ‘movability’ of a large mattress to be reviewed.

3 Likes

Heat disbursement. Our new ‘million dollar’ pillow top mattress did not disburse heat at all. We live in the tropics. Ended up removing the pillow top all together so we didn’t slowly roast overnight. This made the mattress too firm for my liking. The ‘coolest’ sleep I have ever had was in the old fashioned water beds that were just the water bladder - no fancy cover over the top. Finally got rid of it after moving interstate for a while and freezing to death overnight in winter (LOL). Have found out since you are supposed to put a heater in it. Oh well - live and learn.

3 Likes

The absolute most important thing I look for is a mattress that is as natural as possible. Not full of chemicals that gas off and poison me while I am sleeping. Organic is the best option but I would like to know if the latex mattresses (there are 2 types) are as healthy as they pro-port to be. Thanks Deb

2 Likes