CHOICE membership

What should we test about mattresses?

Hey @rusty10010

Thanks for posting the coil spring links to alibaba.

I do not think that showing these coil spring antenna relates in any way to the coil spring in mattresses acting as antennae.

I admit to not being an expert in such matters, but I would think that the plethora of springs in close proximity, the difference in sizes, the complexity of the metalwork inside a mattress would annul any possible EMF re-transmission. Having tested it, I know that it doesn’t change my mobile phone signal.

The only way to prove that the mattresses actually do transmit EMF is via proper testing in a controlled environment. I had a quick search and couldn’t find any valid studies on this topic from a reputable & independent institution. Have you been able to find any?

2 Likes

I can’t see how a handle could be attached into the spring system, rather than just the fabric, without risking damage to the spring from localized forces. And if it can only be attached to the fabric, then if the consumer overloads it, we will tear the fabric.

Please could we test the endurance of the comfort layer elements separately from the endurance of the spring system? I am a chiro, 28 years on the job. Doing house calls, I observe that mattresses get harder with age as the comfort layer packs down. Then the sleeper has to adapt to the sleeping surface, not the other way around. Consumers might benefit from knowing which comfort layer elements perform best.

One seldom discussed consideration in mattress comfort testing is the body lying on it. If a body has spent 8 hours/ night on a sagging surface, or one that has become too hard, there may be muscle stiffness (myofascial pain) secondary to the poor static posture. Once on a new mattress there may be a period of adjustment, while the muscles are under slow stretch all night in the new position. The process of muscle adapting might be expected to take 2-4 weeks. Only after that process will the sleeper really be able to judge the comfort.
I suspect we need to talk about mattresses for light versus the heavy, the curvaceous versus the straight up 'n down and the old with peripheral circulation problems, versus the young athlete. Sorry to be wordy, second ever post.

2 Likes

@lizbaker, you are correct if you only consider typical construction. eg, If the handles were connected to webbing that goes from one side to the other across the bottom for one-sided mattresses (that are generally the heavy ones) they would be far stronger than one attached to the side ticking as they usually are. There are other solutions similarly strong as compared to the norm.

One observation that I would consider important is the fact that as we spend on an average of 8 hours sleeping at night, that means that we all spend around a third of our life sleeping. Therefore it is worthwhile finding a good quality mattress to do all that sleeping on!

1 Like

I am actually in the market for a new mattress. Doing a comparison between retailers has become a nightmare. It seems that the major retailers like David Jones, Harvey Norman, Myer and so all have different versions under different model names of the big name mattresses. It is impossible to compare the likes of Sealy, Sleepmaker and other types as they are all different in the various stores. This lets the retailer charge what they want, we will never pick it up being unable to compare like for like!.
Choice should clear this problem up in this survey.

1 Like

Great! and I pefer one sided mattresses anyway, as we as chiros see injuries from people flipping mattresses.

One resource I send patients too but haven’t seen referred to in this discussion, or in past CHOICE material, is https://www.themattressunderground.com/

I support the above suggestions, and would also like hygiene included - are some fabrics / fillers / covers better to reduce dust mites / clean off stains / be hypo allergeric …
Also Be helpful to have Standardized softness to firmness

1 Like

Hi All, thanks for all the great comments so far. Mattress testing is the hot topicat CHOICE HQ at the moment, so we’re continuing the mattress madness in this thread where we’ll now try to what the absolute most important factor is for our upcoming tests.

Feel free to continue the conversation.

2 Likes

Sorry it took me so long to reply. It says RCB Royal Comfort Bedding, Ultimate luxury reflections, made in Australia.

1 Like

The height of the mattress. Most new mattresses are much higher than the old ones and therefore require new bed linen. Also, as a short person, I now have some difficulty getting into my new high bed with its new high mattress. I should have checked the combination out in store before I bought it.

1 Like

I prefer a separate matress topper for this reason.

1 Like

I’m so pleased that heat dispersal (not disbursement) made the list. It’s become my top priority in the past 10 years. In an air-conditioned showroom, it’s impossible to tell whether a mattress wll be too hot.

These days, for at least half of the year, only a waterbed is cool enough for me. (Yes I’ve tried the special sheets, toppers, and even a BedFan). And I live in a temperate climate (no air con).

The problem with a waterbed though is that it’s a pain to move, especially getting the last 100 litres or so of water out so it’s not too heavy (there’s always some left though). And getting a hose to reach the bed for filling. I’ve moved 3 times in the past 2 years… maybe I should try a hammock?

4 Likes

See our recent mattress review (member content) to find out which products performed best. We also have a mattress buying guide to help you cut through retailer jargon.

1 Like

More than time for smell to dissipate, off gassing of chemicals for something we spend about one third of our time lying on is important. What about a recycling capability rating?

3 Likes

May I suggest another criteria for all evaluations/reviews? …

Value for money, or best buy, or something of the sort.

To my mind, this would be a calculation based on whole of life cost, the street/buy price (NOT the RR), and the expected life of the product. (Choice will know more about the actual calculations required.)

Implementation of this would maintain the existing rankings, but a lower ranked item may be highlighted as best value for money/best buy.

3 Likes

A short video of our mattress testing process:

Plus, how to get a good price on mattresses:

Plus, here’s our article on our latest mattress findings (member content):

2 Likes

my last two have had handles agreed 110%

Also given up pillow top, bought a standard top and a mattress topper seperately, was much more flexible long term
flip turn and the topper can just be swapped.

4 Likes

I have the same problem with my mattress and it is difficult to get fitted sheets on it.

2 Likes