What rights do you have when you forget to unsubscribe from a free trial

I subscribed to the free trial of eBay Plus and forgot to unsubscribe. I have requested a refund within 14 days of purchase

In the Terms and Conditions of eBay Plus it says you can request a refund of your subscription within 14 days of purchase. https://pages.ebay.com.au/Buyer_coupons/plusTC/ Clause 2.3
Please help!

Welcome to the Community @RobRobMTB

Would you please be able to expand on what help you may need. I understand from your topic heading that you have applied for a refund.

Is your request because they haven’t responded yet? If so how long has it been since you made the request?

Have they refused the refund?

What contact and what type of contact have you and they made with regards to this issue?

If a CHOICE member you may be able to get some advice from the CHOICE Help service. Please be aware we can only give general advice as we are not lawyers (well most and I aren’t :smile:). The extra detail will help us point you towards better resources if needed.

3 Likes

I have just spent 2 hours talking to them and being redirected. They have completely refused a refund. They say it was because I went from a free trail to the subscription. I really want a refund :frowning:

Clause 3.3 seems to cover it from ebay’s side.

3.3. If you do not cancel your eBay Plus membership before the 30-day trial period has ended, your membership will be automatically renewed and you will be charged the full annual subscription fee in accordance with sections 5 and 6.

and 5.3 states

5.3. The membership fee is payable once you sign up for an eBay Plus membership and eBay sends you an email confirming your membership (or, if you have signed up for a 30-day free trial period, on the day following the conclusion of the free trial period). In the case of a renewal of an existing membership, the membership fee is payable at the beginning of the new membership year.

and 6.2

6.2. If you sign up for a free 30-day trial of eBay Plus, your membership is valid for 30 days from the date of signing up for the free trial. If you do not cancel your membership within those 30 days, it will automatically renew on the day after the free trial period and your annual membership will start on that day (i.e. the 31st day).

2.3 is quite specific, bolding added for clarity

2.3. If your existing membership renews automatically at the end of your membership year and you are charged the annual membership fee, you will have 14 days from the date you have been charged on your preferred payment method to request a refund of the membership fee from Customer Service. For the avoidance of doubt, you will no longer be entitled to the benefits of your eBay Plus membership from the date of cancellation.

A free trial is not a membership year. It might not be good business PR but it appears ebay is within their rights re the T&C. Your experience reinforces that anyone signing up for a free trial should set an alarm for themselves to timely review, and cancel if that is what they decide to do.

Possible options, escalate your case to a supervisory level if you have not already done so; use ebays complaint mechanism; ask your card provider for a chargeback or open a paypal dispute (but expect ebay could challenge either and if they did so, would probably prevail as being a valid charge).

Bottom line is that other than finding a way to convince or cajole ebay to refund as a once off good will gesture I am unable to offer anything more.

3 Likes

From what I can understand, their Clause 2.3 refers strictly to “If your existing membership renews automatically at the end of your membership year” then you have 14 days to ask for a refund.

Clause 2.2.1 states “you will not be refunded your membership fee regardless of whether or not you made any eligible purchases or have taken advantage of any eBay Plus benefits since your latest Plus membership charge”. I would assume that going from the free trial to a paid member is a “membership charge”.

Clause 3 is very definite about what periods are in play & Clauses 5 and 6 further reinforce this.

You may be able to put your request in writing to the Customer Service Manager asking for some leeway.
For their International HQ the street address is

eBay Inc
2025 Hamilton Avenue
San Jose, California 95125
USA

For Sydney I believe it is

10th floor
45 Market Street
Sydney NSW 2000

You could try service@ebay.com.au

or

Locked Bag 10
Australia Square PO
NSW 1215

But there are no guarantees that the email/mail will get to them.

4 Likes

While I have come to the same conclusion as the previous posts (thank you @PhilT for the references), my reading is that 2.3 only applies if you are an existing member wanting to cancel an automatic renewal.

So it would seem that only 3.3 and 6.2 are relevant to moving from a free trial to the Plus membership. Neither of these clauses have an out if you forget to cancel.

Therefore, you have no right to ask for a refund. None the less, as the previous posts have suggested try escalating and pleading your case. Maybe someone at eBay may be compassionate and refund your money. But, don’t hold your breath.

If you don’t get a refund, please make sure that you set multiple reminders to cancel the Plus membership starting well before the year runs out so you don’t get charged yet another year.

4 Likes

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

4 Likes

RobRobMTB – your position is frustrating and members’ replies have been wise. There is another line of attack, albeit thin and probably rendered inappropriate by virtue of the free trial, and that is that the outcome did not progress as you were expecting (fit for purpose?). That said, you’d need to make a good case.

I guess at the end of the day we all wonder why a “free trial” needs a credit card or similar. Sadly, the answer is obvious—the service provider is betting you will forget to click the “do not renew” or similar. Maybe that’s a sad reflection on business practice these days. Most “free” or “trial” services that demand my credit card details also fail to gain me as a customer. Exceptions are ancestral research sites. The moment I’ve attained membership I access “my account” and switch off the auto-renew. A common internet query for many sites is, “how do I switch off auto renew?” That probably says a lot.

1 Like

I don’t see it that way.
You sign up for an onging subscription service, for a regular periodic fee.
There is an initial free period where no charge is applied, for you to decide if you want to subscribe after all, and you can test the full service.
If not, unsubscribe.
Seems to me to be a very fair subscription model, try before you buy.

Maybe Choice could offer that?

1 Like