What makes a potato microwaveable?

I have been microwaving potatoes for ever!
I never knew some were and some not suitable for microwaving!
I think this is another ploy by the supermarkets to take your and my money and label them as Microwaveable.
Seriously, I have microwaved all types of potatoes with no adverse affects.

5 Likes

In WA, the best potatoes for making chips are Royal Blues. Available in Coles and Woolies. But for REALLY good chips, you need Kennebrecs or Foxtons. Foxtons used to be available in WA but not any more, and I believe Kennebrecs are grown in Manjimup but are supplied only to Hungry Jacks and McDonalds. Or they used to be. I had hoped that with the de-regulation of the potato industry in WA we’d get a better choice of potatoes, but no, still boring Nadines and Desirees, plus the Royal Blues, which are the only ones we buy. Good for chips, roasting and also, surprisingly, mash.

2 Likes

I have measured a few. The “microwaveable” ones are a bit smaller in length and width.

You may be right. The advantage of this package for microwave cooking may be that there is only 500g and the potatoes are small enough to be successfully cooked in the unopened bag without being pierced.
However, I would be pity if labelling them as “microwaveable” resulted in any consumers thinking incorrectly that these are the only potatoes that can be cooked in a microwave.

Thanks for the tip. Just tried it and liked the result, but next time will use less oil!

Re the pricing: I wonder whether Aldi consciously tries to set the unit prices of the 2 packs at these levels i.e. $2.99 per kg for the 1kg pack and $3.58 per kg for the 500g “microwaveable” one? I find it interesting that for the 1kg pack the pack the cost is the psychologically very appealing (in part because we read from left to right) $2.99 and the 500g pack price is $1.79 not $1.99 (which would have resulted in a price per kg of $3.98).

6 Likes

Aside from psychology there may be some maths skills required. Yes, there is a unit price in very small print almost indiscernible in passing, that is intended to solve that need.

The wise one would go for the $1.79 nearly every time because they are cheaper. This suggests some shoppers see only the big ticket price. The mental agility in maths of dividing $2.99 by 2 or doubling $1.79 might come naturally to some. It’s not a given.

Unit pricing really needs to be as prominent as the product selling price, IMO. Would that be confusing? For some, it might give cause to pause and understand.

P.S.
I’m banned from pushing the trolley unless I go on my own. This stopping to look at the prices before deciding, or remembering the price of the same brand and product at Woolies and IGA slows the whole process down. Real Wisdom in ones partner can be their agility remembering non numerical things, including some one wishes to avoid doing.

Hence what makes a potato microwaveable? The writing on the packet will likely satisfy many and to make it worthwhile for Aldi.

3 Likes

Shopping is now a mathematical chore to outsmart the Supermarkets for attempting to “con” us!
However in most cases the Supermarkets giants are relying on the consumers who dont have the time or inclination to do the sums.

6 Likes

That is what unit pricing is about. I am pretty sure efforts to confuse the buyer about the how much they are actually buying have been around since bulk goods were first prepackaged. Today your protections are in fact better than in days of yore. We all tend to think the old days were better, it isn’t always the case.

5 Likes

They are very popular with restaurants & catering in general. The larger ones don’t present as well on the plate, and require more kitchen labour in preparation.

3 Likes