What is your experience with mortgage brokers?

A 243-page report from ASIC has found that some mortgage brokers are putting customers in more debt with riskier loans, due to a conflict of interest brought about by commission payments. Read more about the investigation into mortgage brokers.

What is your experience with mortgage brokers?

3 Likes

Some time ago I did explore a mortgage through a mortgage broker but found it too expensive and went to the Bendigo Bank.
P Danko

1 Like

I’ve used Nationwide Mortgage to select and arrange my last two mortgages. Excellent and 100% recommended:
www.nationwidemortgage.com.au
I was surprised about that ASIC report. Perhaps I just got lucky finding Nationwide Mortgage.

1 Like

Hii have used montage choice on 2 occasions the first time was when i got my first property which i still own and live in. I originally bought in 2005 now the first time the broker was very good he was very good and not a hassle at all. when i refinanced several years ago the local person where i live currently was not as good. He certainly wasn’t very customer focused at all he seemed to be more interested in just signing me up. In-fact in the end his assistant in the office helped me sort things out. She should have been doing his job it seemed to me but finally it got settled. Im not so sure if they were as good when i originally first purchased my property. I just think considering a home or unit is a large investment maybe its just about how much they when the loan gets processed etc. It always makes me wonder how they work poor old consumer again struggling or misled.

1 Like

Hey guys, first time on here but was just asking if anyone can recommend any good mortgage brokers they have used. Currently renting in the Sunshine Coast and looking to buy our first home with our daughter.

1 Like

Hi roadbloc. I have moved your post to an existing thread where there are a few comments already on peoples’ experiences with mortgage brokers.

By the way, wouldn’t it be better if you paid money instead of buyng it with your daughter??? :sweat_smile:

oops sorry

1 Like

We are in our 60s so only option really, long story.

2 Likes

It is worth taking recommendations and hopefully some members will be able to provide these to you.

It is also worth seeing what brokers are in your area using the MFAA broker search function…

While the search function may not show the good from bad, it may be useful to guide you in decision making.

2 Likes

cheers for that will do.

1 Like

Mortgage brokers are not the only option for retirees and older Australians. There are a number of credit Union and building society or second tier banks who are also keen to service older Australians.

A mortgage broker may do some of the work for you. Our experiences spread across the family are positive when going direct. You do need to go prepared, IE not just with what you want but how you are going to achieve your loan outcome including budget. All the financial institutions have tools for doing so.

1 Like

cheers mark

1 Like