What is the most ridiculous connected tech you've heard about?

If it is the one I have seen advertised the collar detects the boundary and gives the dog a vibration or perhaps a tone to remind them they are not allowed to cross. This is supposed to be combined with training to keep the dog in bounds without costly un-jumpable fences. There may be a harsher version that zaps the dog. The wire is to delineate the boundary that the collar detects not to give a shock.

3 Likes

Hopefully it can address the bad habit of buying unnecessary junk from Amazon :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

If you used one and tried to remove it, the way they share the device info such as with your friends (hmm Facebook" perhaps) it would be a hard task to take it off and for your beloved to not be aware of that fact. If friends could also initiate a zaptic response/feedback (which it seems to indicate is a thing) you could be in for a lot of aversion reinforcement when you “upset” someone so close :laughing: Perhaps a birthday or Christmas present you wouldn’t want to unwrap but could be one you might be happy to present to others, re-gifting might become more frequent.

3 Likes

:slight_smile: I actually wrote and asked them if there is a double package for couples who would like to randomly zap each other remotely.

I’ll let you know if I get a reply!

If I had one on each wrist, people could just steer me around.

5 Likes

:joy: The reply should be interesting reading.

1 Like

Into sadomasochistic play?

(sorry, I cannot leave a straight line :frowning: )

4 Likes

Evidently, some people really don’t want to be in the kitchen.

5 Likes

Wow you could load them with food on the way out and then remotely start them up at some hours later on your way home so that you have a hot meal waiting for you when you arrive. If you want food poisoning. I wonder if the instructions caution against this.

And I love this " The New York City Fire Department says “unattended cooking” accounts for 33 percent of home fires"

4 Likes

There are already slow cookers and multi function type cookers that you can preset times, temps, etc for so that the meal is waiting on your return. In fact many sell these features as desired functions. Many even maintain a warming cycle so that after the meal is cooked it is kept warm until the person/s are home and ready to consume the food. Our oven has timers to start and stop a cooking session as does our Microwave, the provision of BT or Wifi to carry out this control is not much different except it gives you perhaps an option to turn off the device/s that more simple timers do not.

I guess “unattended” covers a lot of meanings eg walking to the laundry while something is on the stove, dealing with a child or some other person who asks for assistance while some food is also cooking, watching TV in another room while cooking, going to the toilet while in the midst of cooking, talking on the phone in another area while cooking…the list would be pretty big.

2 Likes

Nice find @Drop_Bear. I can definitely understand the comparison to slow cookers and no doubt this has been the cause of some problems. However, a smart oven that could accidentally be activated from the phone in your pocket? Seems like the risk outweighs the reward to me.

If anyone notices an anecdote of this occurring in Australia in their travels, be sure to flag it.

2 Likes

Maybe you could buy a refrigerator/oven combo, that will automatically slide your planned dinner from one to the other when instructed?

I suspect that most of these fires occur in households that cannot afford ‘smart’ ovens. I have seen video of people ‘cooking’ over their gas heaters, for instance - because they happen to live in the richest country on Earth but are poorer even than people on NewStart.

1 Like

Probably fake news, but the possibilities are endless.

4 Likes

Well I can text, browse the web, Skype, Facebook etc etc etc from my AirCon control pad so why not a smart fridge?

3 Likes

For a start, hide all the modern TVs (which may well contain a web browser).

1 Like

This might need a thread of its own:

2 Likes

Sounds fascinating, but I think I’ll stick with my Tamagotchi.

Still available at a retailer near you, and definitely not Internet-enabled!

1 Like