What food packaging plastic is freezer safe to avoid food contamination with brittle plastic?

Hi
I recently had a really bad experience with a fozen dessert :A sharp piece of plastic must have broken off and fallen onto the frozen chocolate bavarian dessert, (Can I name the brand. of the supermarket label ? ) I followed instructions and once it was thawed, I began to eat it and after a few bites I felt something sharp in my throat and began choking and gagging, my brother helped but eventually I had to use my fingers to dislodge the sharp plastic from my throat and fortunately, I was able to breathe properly. I was extremely shaken up but I was alive ! I did not eat or drink anything else, went to bed and called the supermarket customer care, September 2nd the following morning. I told them what happened and asked them to please check if their food packaging was safe because the plastic appeared to be very brittle when frozen and that it would not be safe for anyone. I expected them to check the package safety but they just did the generic ‘food safety’ foreign matter questionnaire. They sent me letters and emails trying to absolve themselves but did not mention any part of an investigation to ensure the safety of the plastic packaging while frozen. I honestly believe the plastic is dangerous because it could be broken through transport and handling while the product and the packaging is frozen. Can anyone help me with this please?

7 Likes

I always advise the shop and/or manufacturer in writing, either by email or their own online inquiry form, and with the latter, I copy my message into a MS Word document for reference.

I prefer to contact the manufacturer as I believe that when one returns a defective product to the store, they happily refund your money and then toss the faulty product in the bin so the manufacturer is not made aware of the problem.

Unless the store and the brand was the same, eg, Coles dessert sold at Coles, I would contact the manufacturer, especially if it appears to be something that may reoccur. It could even be something taht requires a product recall.

You can name both the store and the manufacturer, and if you do not receive a satisfactory response from either/both of them, you can post your unsatisfactory experience on Product Review.

https://www.productreview.com.au/

Have a look at the Recall category on this forum so as to get an idea of the numerous problems that food products have been recalled for.

https://choice.community/c/recalls

5 Likes

You can lodge a complaint with your State/Territory Public Health Unit. See:

http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/about/foodenforcementcontacts/pages/default.aspx

It can get confusing about which authority is responsible but as it relates to a processing fault this should always be at a State/Territory level not your local council.

3 Likes

Happy to hear that you are OK now.

Make your own desserts or get them from small stores… eg places that make their own gelato etc

1 Like