What food or drink price rises have you noticed recently?

Our bread has risen by 10 cents to $4 - although we now pick it up at our local supermarket, rather than driving 30 mins to the bakery. It is an arrangement we made with them, they supply standard loaves to the shop and ours is added as a special deal and we pick it up from the front counter. The shop does not stock the 900g loaves.

A friend who buys from our independent supermarket with in-store bakery, said their loaf rose by 9 cents (now $1.29) 780g sliced.

3 Likes

I don’t count fresh fruit & veg in my price comparisons because they vary by season. However, I noted that fresh red seedless grapes, from the same producer, were $2.99/kg at my usual independent supermarket, and the same day $6.99/kg at our local Foodworks. Neither marked as on Special.

4 Likes

I’m in FNQ :blush:

2 Likes

UHT Devondale Full Cream milk 1L, I noticed some weeks ago that the price has gone up from $1.60 to $1.90.
Few days ago it was on special at the old price but the scanner hadn’t been updated. Got it for free.

3 Likes

I live in Southport Qld. and shop at this Coles store. But I also go to Aldi: it’s in the same shopping mall. ‘Lack of competition in the market place’, Kev?

1 Like

I agree lack of competition is the issue. With respect to Aldi, I am personally not a fan for a range of reasons I won’t bore you with. Regards Kevin

1 Like

With respect to the toilet roll prices, I just wonder if the rise is because the turnover has gone down while all those who purchased three years supply during Covid are using it up and not buying more at the moment?
They’re not going to keep half a house full of toilet rolls forever!

Our local Colesworths have mostly had all but empty TP and empty tissue racks for more than a month with sporadic supply of one or another brands, all unpredictable. Last week Coles had a good stock of Coles TP and a few others, and Coles tissue. It does not appear to be a problem with turnover, more with supply.

1 Like

Bunnings ‘Community Organisation’ snags are up from $2.50 to $3.50.

3 Likes

Hi Harps,

I hadn’t thought of that.

Well spotted !

Milk at Coles on the way up…up $0.25/L (or increase of around 19%)

2 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: Corporate Behaviour and Inflationary Pressures

I quite agree. I am sure that big business is taking advantage and making super profits such as the oil companies. Big companies that are international can invoice Australian subsidiaries such that they make minimum profit here and maximum in low tax countries.

Green beans at local fruit n veg shop at $29.99 per kilo!

4 Likes

Each week prices seem to be fluctuate quite astounding one weecosts less next more

2 Likes

So apparently not just Coles branded milk.
Gor the shock of my life today when I did the groceries-Liddell’s Lactose Free Milk that I paid $2.35/litre a couple of weeks ago (consistent regular price), now $2.60.
Not happy, Jan…

2 Likes

Prices are one thing and most of us understand the cost of running a shop has gone up with the needs for sanitising products at the doors, masks for staff in cases, and so on. Yet profits also rising could easily create another layer of cynicism on free market capitalistic businesses.

Companies have a single mandate - maximise shareholder value; not to do their part for a community although they do the latter sometimes, in some ways. Prices are rising, so are profits. Reading who is getting squeezed and who rewarded is the historical norm.

Edit: About level at Woolies

1 Like

Before Covid, DF pure cream was $3.75 for 600 ml carton. Almost as soon as the pandemic was declared, it jumped to $4.50. A couple of weeks ago… $5.10. I have it only in coffee, and I only drink one cup of coffee a day, but geez, they see you coming, don’t they. Bet the farmers aren’t reaping the benefits.

3 Likes

Aldi’s brand of rice milk (1 litre carton) cost $1.59 for some time.
IMHO, it’s taste and nutritional value was on par with other brands, but it was always cheaper, so it was
my go-to brand.
A few weeks ago however I noticed the price skyrocketed 26% to $1.99. I asked in-store staff (in 2 stores) about the price
rise and queried why the change of packaging from a multi coloured carton to a pale pink design. Surely the price rise is not to cover marketing costs? I was told that the price rise and changed packaging was due to a new supplier providing Aldi with the product.

A couple of weeks later when I opened the carton, it tasted as good as the superceded product. But a reading of the ingredients revealed zero calcium was contained in the rice milk.

Comparing the former to the replacement product, I saw that the calcium information was mentioned on the very last line of the ingredients table listed on the former product, but there was no such line on the new product. I asked customer service about this by email and wondered if there was a printing error inasmuch as someone forgot to include the very last line, which seemed likely to me as the design left no room for that extra line.

Two emails later, Aldi confirms that

the new UHT Rice Milk 1L does not contain any Calcium.

This I find very, very odd as ALL brands of rice milk to my knowledge contain some calcium, albeit less than found in dairy, but at least some.

If the new product indeed contains no calcium, how many folk willy nilly buy the stuff assuming, like other brands, that it’s a non dairy alternative that has some nutritional merit?

So not only has Aldi’s price risen by 26% to the extent that at $1.99 it exceeds Woolworths organic brand ($1.69) which in fact contains calcium, I have purchased my very last carton from Aldi of wha, to be frank, approximates water in its nutritional value.

3 Likes

Brendan. People should be on the look out for, and report, pack size reductions, as well as price rises. Pack size reductions, which are rarely accompanied by price reductions and often by price increases, can significantly increase the cost per unit of measure (unit price) and cause “shrinkflation”.

There is separate conversation about pack size reductions that is still active and can be used to report them.

Ideally, when supermarket chains commit to.keeping prices at current levels for a stated period, or even reducing prices, they should also commit to not reducing pack sizes.

2 Likes