Rice : What brand / type do you prefer to buy?

[quote=“vax2000, post:20, topic:15397”]
I always use a rice cooker too Phil . Does a good job .
[/quote]The problem is making a serve for 1 although I can use a single serve leftover for another day.

My Tefal ‘Intelligent Rice Cooker’ has a minimum load above what I can eat by myself. It keeps rice nice for an unexpectedly long time, but one can only eat so much over a few days without help. :frowning:

5 Likes

Where do you buy the intelligent rice? :rofl:

5 Likes

Erm… no surprise for anyone, I’m guessing - we have a made-in-Japan Mitsubishi rice cooker, which means that there is a somewhat hefty step-down 240V to 100V transformer hidden in the cupboard below. The rice cooker lives on the benchtop. It is never put away. We’ve had it for about 12 years. I recall that one of its selling points was the fact that it has a seven-layered pot. I’m not sure of the benefits of that, but it does a really good job of cooking whatever we put in it. It has a bewildering array of modes… I’ve come across ones in Japan that talk. I’m quite glad that ours only beeps. :grin:

6 Likes

My rice cooker only rings a bell when the lever flips up on the completion of cooking . I guess it must be one of the dumb ones :grin:

4 Likes

The 7 layers as supposed to spread the heat more evenly thus producing a more evenly cooked rice, it also helps avoid that sometimes over-cooked bit on the bottom of many other rice cookers. We don’t have one of them but our family friend from Taiwan uses one all the time.

She recommends also before putting the rice and water in, that to wipe the bowl inside with a bit of rice bran oil on a paper towel to make it less likely to stick to the sides.

Which Koshihikari brands do you buy out of interest? We enjoy the Sushi more with this type than with other short grains so would welcome your brand knowledge.

Dr Moseley had a program about rice and the way it is cooked, interestingly it is better for arsenic content to boil it in a lot more more water than needed (5:1) but best of all is to pre-soak it as well before boiling it in 5:1 ratio of water to rice.

5 Likes

Now that you mention it, that sounds like what the promotional literature said about the 7 layers. I’ve not heard of the suggestion to wipe the bowl with oil, but our pot has a Teflon coating and we haven’t had any problems with the rice sticking to it. Rice sticking to the serving ‘paddle’ is another issue entirely. We’ve bought many different styles with all sorts of non-stick claims. We’ve found that the ones with a surface like a golf ball are usually pretty good.

The last bag of rice we bought was Akafuji brand. We’re not really brand-aware when we buy Japanese rice, simply because there are so many small producers and different brands.

5 Likes

Thank you for the reply :slight_smile: I think our friend may have a non coated version of the cooker but I will ask her. But I do know it is a commercial variety cooker from Mitsubishi as my daughter when they visited her last year decided she wanted to get one but can’t find them over here. That’s how I know about the oil advice because my daughter reminds me when I forget to do it in our one lol.

As for the server you can try the oil trick as well, it only puts a very thin layer of oil on the surfaces so it might work well for you.

4 Likes

I like buying the Continental range of Rice my favorite being Oriental Fried Rice.

5 Likes

My brother buys and consumes a lot of that product . Must give it a go . Thanks for sharing that .

5 Likes

Your very welcome vax :slight_smile:

5 Likes

We buy the Sun Rice Australian brown medium grain 5 KG pack. I cook it all at once and freeze it in bags (2 serves per bag). When we need rice, we just defrost and reheat a bag in the microwave.

5 Likes

At @hitspacebar that’s a great idea .When I get a bigger freezer will definitely try that . Thanks for the input to the post .

4 Likes

When I get rice I get aged. Sometimes one year old, sometimes 5. Was told by a chef that one year old is good.

Aged rice is good for risotto etc. Does come in large packs but rather expensive.

4 Likes

We have a separate standalone freezer and the rice takes up quite a bit of space at first, but it is very convenient as you have brown rice ready to eat in minutes at a fraction of the cost of prepackaged quick rice.

4 Likes

After a visit to Japan & Taiwan and talking to locals, my wife’s developed a fascination with Japanese & Taiwanese rice. Recently, finished & packaging gone. She says she can taste the differences. Me? White rice is rice, isn’t it?
We’ve a new 10kg bag of Sun Rice, & both (unnamed) white & Dawaat brown basmati.

4 Likes

They say travel broadens the mind . Maybe the taste buds too :grin: Thanks for the input .

3 Likes

We buy rice from Indian or Asian stores. Usually we have it with curries, casseroles and stir fries. Currently using India gate basmati exotic. We were told basmati is better for diabetics and there is a family history. To further reduce carbs we cook it in loads of water and drain it off at the end. We have a 5kg bag that lasts about 2 months for 4 of us. It is made in India.

4 Likes

You seem to have everything under control rice wise Karen :grin:In the next week I’ll be posting "Your Favourite Comfort Food " Mine is an old Scotttish dish quite easy to prepare. . Hopefully you will post when the topic comes up . Thanks for your input .

3 Likes

I do not trust the rice grown in Australia.
Some studies concluded Australian rice had a higher content of As than rice from other countries ( up to 189 mg/kg), but FSANZ claims the arsenic level in rice is less than 1mg/kg. It means I do not trust FSANZ either. Sad.

4 Likes

That’s definitely something we should be concerned about Tanya . Thanks for addition to the post .

2 Likes