Cheese : What brand/s do you prefer to buy?

Plenty. King Island, merely valley, Tamar Valley, Aldi emporium, coles, coon, dodoni , South cape, Castello, Rosenberg, Tasmanian heritage, kraft… Most commonly.

3 Likes

We like to try different cheeses especially ones from the farm gate or ‘boutique’ cheeses if they are not exorbitantly priced but the staples are Great Ocean Road tasty/extra/tasty/vintage from Coles; Coles Australian feta (not real feta as it is made on cows milk not goat); any double or triple cream brie that is on special; Woolworths extra tasty. Parmesan lasts a while in our household, we use whatever is on special. Now and then I will try something from overseas but generally I try to use products that use Australian ingredients and are made in Australia. I rarely eat food from overseas unless it is from New Zealand. I do this as a matter of principle (support Australian farmers and businesses) and because I don’t trust the the farming practises (heavy metal contamination/pesticide use/fertilisers), animal welfare standards, or processing standards from anywhere else. Also GM contamination is much more likely in some overseas foods.

3 Likes

I make my own blue vein cheese and also buy tasty cheddar from Aldi and any soft cheese on special. Making your own gives personal pleasure buying unhomogenised milk supporting milk prducers and can vary whether add more cream to make soft or none for hard stilton like.

4 Likes

You can always find some Castello creamy blue in my fridge …it is Yummy !!!

3 Likes

The only blue I buy is Castello, it’s the least salty. As I try to buy cheeses with as little salt as I can get, the choice is not that large. So the only hard cheese I buy is Jarlsberg. Then bri and camambers: Jindi, and a couple of others, but I can’t recall what they are as in this category salt contents doesn’t vary as much as in hard and especially blue cheeses. So I usually buy what’s on special.

3 Likes
  • Bega Tasty ( since I’m a local) weekly

The rest are more ad hoc as I’m a bit dairy intolerant and my son only eats the above.

• Bega Vintage

• Gorgonzola, Castello Blue and White

• Haloumi (100% sheep when possible) from Middle Eastern grocer

• occasional fetta, Mersey Valley, Jarlsberg, Havarti, various Aldi (Brie, exotics) when I visit Canberra

3 Likes

Have bought Nimbin cheese for day to day for many years, sometimes Black & Gold ‘Australian Cheddar’. Otherwise King Island Brie or Blue Castello.

I remember as a kid living in Coff’s we used to buy drums of Sharp Cheese from a factory at Frederickton just to the north of Kempsey. I suspect that, alas, it no longer produces cheese. I used to love the smell & watching the cheesemakers at work.

3 Likes

Hi Mike.
Because we have always been on a very tight budget, but love our cheddar-style cheeses, we have always bought the cheapest cheddar-style available in whatever supermarket we shopped at. All other cheeses – despite our liking them – were way outside our budget, so were never purchased.

In the past few years, Aldi has been our main supermarket of choice, so we have always bought their cheap cheddar-style which is currently $6 a kg I think.
During this past year, for just $1 a kg extra they have had a more tasty one on offer, so we have upgraded to that one. (Sorry that I cannot remember names).

But within the past few months I have decided to expand the budget, and we now pay $1 or perhaps $2 more to buy their Westacre Natural EXTRA Tasty cheese block. yum.

Our family loves to eat cheddar cheeses straight from the pack at any time in chunks or slices or cubes etc.; and to have it grilled on toast; as well as forming part of our daily lunch-time sandwiches of cheese & tomato – with the occasional treat inclusion of some shaved ham. yum.

4 Likes

Hi Ray ,

Being on a tight budget will often make you a real savvy shopper . Last couple of years I’ve had to cut down expenses to make ends meet too . I take a real look at bang for buck products now . Incidentally Westacre cheese was originally made by Bega for Aldis . I don’t know if that is the case now . /

Thanks for the post Ray and hang in there ok .

Mike

3 Likes

Ahhhh Mike: you make me feel good.
Thanks so much for the Bega cheese/Aldi connection – even if it might no longer prevail. I was brought up ‘knowing’ that Bega cheddar was the best in Oz, and it hurt like hell that I could never afford to buy it. So this is great to now learn that I might have been eating it and enjoying it, all at a wonderfully low Aldi generic price! Yay!!! You’ve made my day. Seasons compliments to you Mike.

4 Likes

.[quote=“ray15, post:30, topic:14809”]

[/quote]

You too . Have a great Christmas to you and family .

1 Like

I try to buy either B.-d.Farm Paris Creek from the Adelaide Hills (Nuage Blanc French Style Double Brie is my favourite - if you like Brie you need to try this - it is divine) or organic cheese! But I have a liking for Pecorino Cheese that comes from Italy!

3 Likes

Too many to list. Too many to remember! Depends on what is available and takes my fancy on the day.

3 Likes

So many cheeses. You are all making me hungry, and it is only 10am…
In order of volume of consumption: Our go to eating on crackers cheese is the Great Ocean Road - the black pack which is the most mature (stocked at Coles, not at Woolies);
Fetta: Danish, usually bought as bulk slabs from the local deli. We marinate in (olive and canola) oil with dill, peppercorns and a bit of garlic in the jar. Consumed with gusto. Have also bought from Aldi and woolies and coles delis, but find they are higher in salt and the texture is wrong - not as soft and creamy.
Parmesan: Millel block. I eat it as slices with a good red wine, but also for all our pasta/italian salads. Yes, the preshredded can be cheaper but I find the flavour is noticeably absent. My partner finds the genuine italian version too strong, so we compromise.
Brie: generally King Island double, although the Harris Farm generic can be tasty if you can buy early and ripen a bit on the bench or in the fridge.
Haloumi: whatever is on special.
I think that is is it, apart from random purchases for parties.
Bocconcini - again from the (italian) deli.

3 Likes

Ricotta from a Continental deli - brand unknown
Castello blue
sometimes King Island brie or camembert
sometimes English style hard cheeses like Red Leicester and Wensleydale, often bought from Woolworths.
I don’t buy all these at once! and I find the quality of Australian cheeses is very good as a rule.

3 Likes

Love Great Ocean Road Extra tasty or vintage. Also Mersey Valley vintage and for basics Mainland extra tasty and vintage
any camembert at the right price.

3 Likes

[quote=“lois.ely1, post:36, topic:14809”]
[/quote] Must give the Great Ocean Brand a try . Has come up a few times in this post . Thank you for the input .

2 Likes

For years: Bega tasty (the one with the black print), but more recently: Great Ocean Road vintage tasty.

When we’re looking for something special, it’s King Island Roaring Forties blue and/or camembert (try to buy Australian and chose based on price) and we will get other “cheese platter” type cheeses on occasion. South Cape brand is commonly bought.

3 Likes

I can’t often afford (or find!) Margaret River Club Cheddar, but when I can, it’s the Cheese of Choice (ha!). Mersey Valley cheddar is also very good. To fill in the gaps I just buy whatever’s the cheapest block cheddar around.

3 Likes

We get Bega 50% less fat

3 Likes