Olive oil , Extra Virgin : What brand/s do you prefer to buy?

Phew or by luck, the top two are brands (Colbram and Red Island) are the ones we usually buy.

2 Likes

We moved to Australia olive oils a couple of years ago. Today in the cupboard
Cobram Estate Premiere. (usually one of the other CE varieties)
Aldi Olive Tree 3L

3 Likes

We use Remano EVOO.

Unfortunately at Aldi where it was the cheapest, the Remano EVOO container recently changed down from the 4L tin can to a 3.7L plastic bottle. I don’t believe the price went down either.

2 Likes

Tamas , such is life ay . You pay the same for less .

2 Likes

As a result of the Choice review, we’ve restocked with both the Cobram & the Red Island.
It’s the first time for the Red Island & we enjoy the flavour.
Thank you Choice!

5 Likes

Cobram Estate only. Wanting to go “organic” once I bought Aldi Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Oh, boy! I am now trying to get rid of those two bottle in the most environmentally friendly way.)

3 Likes

I really enjoy Cobram estate too . It will be the only Extra Virgin Olive Oil I will buy now . If anybody on the forum finds a good brand give it a shout out . Also thank you for your comment and input .

2 Likes

Seems the way to go Tanya . Thanks for the input.

2 Likes

Thanks Peter, excellent link

3 Likes

I only buy Cobram Estate, mild for general cooking and robust for the salads and shallow frying.

3 Likes

Me too. Its not cheapest, but its what I have always used. Might try some others, some day.

3 Likes

We only buy either Cobram Estate or Red Island extra virgin olove oil in 3 or 4 litre tins, and they have the popup breather hole to assist pouring.

We also have a Cobram Estate 750ml bottle which we simply refill from the tins as required by using a funnel.

I would not touch any imported olive oil after the disgusting expose of dodgy Italian and Spanish olive oils a few years ago,

3 Likes

We’ve updated our olive oil review. How did your favourite perform?

Some info on how we test this product:

4 Likes

@BrendanMays, I notice the cost in the main presentation shows the bottle size, and the bottle cost two times, but not the unit price. Do I mis-remember or did the previous test show bottle size, bottle cost AND unit price on the main presentation? Seems a regressive step, perhaps an oversight rather than planned?

The ‘comparisons table’ shows the unit price on the second line so it is there, but.

4 Likes

Both did very well. I’m tempted to try one or two not quite near the top of the range that are less than half the unit price of the best.

It would be informative @BrendanMays to see a similar review of the readily available cooking oils. Choice has a buying guide, but not a review. These too can vary significantly in perceived quality vs price. Hopefully one can also rely on blended products displaying the true contents?

3 Likes

I can’t remember how it was displayed previously, but in any case, I’ll pass on the suggestion @PhilT to have this on the main card of the full review page.

Taking a look at some other oils sounds like a good idea to me @mark_m, I’ll also mention this to our food test people.

3 Likes

Was any testing of authenticity of the oil undertaken? After seeing the program on how many olive oils in the EU were being adulterated or not even olive oil but flavoured canola etc it has made me wary of buying oils that originate in places other than Australia.

4 Likes

I usually use Cobram Estate but lately have tried Best Buy Extra Virgin olive oil from Foodworks Supermarket . Quite like it .Will definitely buy again .

5 Likes

There were chemical tests conducted, I’m not sure if this covers all potential forms of tampering but I suspect it would show up somewhere along the line. I know it’s a potential issue in other markets for herbs and spices.

4 Likes

Usually Cobram Estate or The Olive Tree for salads etc. Depends where I shop. Rice Bran Oil for cooking.

4 Likes