What are your top tips for packing your holiday suitcase?

I usually tie a bright ribbon to the handle of my bag to identify it on the carousel. So many suitcases look the same these days you need something to help you figure out which one it is when you’re bleary eyed after a long haul flight.

Even better, if I’m going to a hot destination I don’t even both checking luggage these days (in fact, I even managed to do winter Christmas in Beijing with no checked luggage with some careful packing!). This doesn’t always work if you’re on a budget airline, where they’ll weigh your luggage meticulously to make sure you’re under the 7kg limit (and in China, 5 kgs). I’ve never had it checked on a full service airline - as long as you can handle the bag and the size is right, you should be good to go.

2 Likes

Spot on! You are so right-these are a great idea to keep your clothing sorted and easy to find . .

1 Like

Yep, I do a similar thing. I remind myself that I will be carrying it so do I really need it. I also remember that if there is something I really need I can buy it on my travels. A sarong doubles as a pillow, towel, blanket, dress, skirt, top, scarf, hair tie. Any documentation I email to myself, and put on a USB and put in the cloud. Kindle for books, not hardcopy. Something that seems to have several uses: a nail brush, dental floss, padlock, small travel container of wool wash, tiny torch.

3 Likes

Kindle for books - great tip! Depending on where you are travelling, planes, trains and a lot of businesses tend to have charging outlets too which solves potential low-battery problems.

1 Like