Weights on Packaging

I am a bit dubious about the authenticity of this one…

But when she later weighed the meat on her kitchen scales at home, she discovered a big problem – the mince actually weighed just 262g.

It is expected that sny reasonable person would be able to determine a mince pack which is about half of the displayed weight when purchasing. If it was say 5, 10 or 20% under, this might be a different matter. A half filled container compared to other would stand out.

Also the mince pack had been opened prior to weighing. Any chain of custody of the mince pack is therefore indeterminable as there is opportunity for mince to go missing. I am not saying that mince has gone missing, but it would be hard to prove otherwise…the mince should have been weighed in the original unsealed packaging…and then the empty packaging weighed separately.

I have seen at our own local Woollies supermarket customers taking advantage of the fresh food guarantees. (the mickey?). A recent example was a customer returning a bruised banana requesting a full refund for the bunch (even though only one returned) due to a bruise. The banana did look a little old compared to the under ripe ones often sold, Didn’t wait to see the outcome as the manager was called for advice and had to leave).

3 Likes