Ways to be Down on NBN

Hi BentEast. Did you get anywhere with NBN on this?

I’m doing some telecommunications advocacy myself as locally we have NBN maintenance issues and black spots and brown spots with useless mobile reception when power goes down, which it has for many days I’m the last two years (3x over a week in our district just inside the edge of metro Melbourne). Of course NBN says use a mobile if power is down. None of the mobile reception failure shows up on the telco maps, because they’re allowed to have these maps at low resolution. Our federal government absolutely failed in its duty of care.

Having threatened to disconnect me if I didn’t transfer to NBN, I’m now told my NBN speed isn’t up to scratch over 12 months later because of “co-existence”, with no deadline for when this ends. How convenient for NBN not to have to fix anything.

Jessica Cotter recently became NBN Community and Stakeholder Engagement Manager, Victoria, jessicacotter@nbnco.com.au
She’s tuned in, understanding and worth a try.
I encourage concerned communities to contact her.

3 Likes

Hi. Yes I did. ACCAN got involved, all my vulnerable priority assist neighbours had their modems upgraded to SIM- only operation. It was poorly handied by Telstra, but now means the PA customers are off the NBN network completely. Next step is arranging battery backup.

Thanks for sharing another useful advocacy contact. For individual / household issues I’ll keep.Jessica Cotter in mind… for systemic / state / national issues ACCAN should be kept in the loop.

3 Likes

Not getting the service speeds you were encouraged to sign up for. Your RSP (Telco) may have known or forgot to tell you.

With the earnings from the sale of NBN services across these three in the billions of dollars small change. At least they have been called out.

The NBN Co declared a statutory net profit (NPAT) of $2.4B from revenue of $5.1B for FY 2021-22.

4 Likes

Looking to the future, ABB have this from the NBN. Nothing like being prepared. Anything might happen in the next 9hrs or 12hrs. Stayed tuned, hopeful of further updates closer to the planned NBN events x3? :joy:

Is there logic in the NBN planning 3 major outages in what is alternately peak fire season or flood and storm times? Hopefully all goes well and the outcomes of the works result in a significant improvement in reliability and service speeds.

P.S.
I’d like to think the work includes connecting the local NBN FW towers directly to the fibre optic network, rather than relying on the current daisy chained microwave links for backhaul. /dream on

1 Like

The following relates to NBN Fixed Wireless.
We received multiple emails from ABB re outages for NBN planned works. In hindsight Aussie needs to improve on their communication. There’s a disconnect between what the NBN advises ABB directly and how that is repackaged to the customer. Evident from several friendly discussions over service issues with ABB’s great support personnel. I will revisit with ABB formally when the one remaining advice for the coming week has been closed out.

The following chart shows how it was before, during (first 3+ weeks of Jan) the NBN works, and how it had been for the previous 4 days.

For those not into graphics, just note that the slowest connection speeds over the last few days have more than bettered 100 Mbps during the evenings (busy hour). Previously less than 20 Mbps common with less than 10 Mbps on some nights. The maximum which was around 80 Mbps now sits at 140 Mbps.

How it transpires over the next month - we will wait and see. Still well off the speeds of other technologies. Although now more competitive compared with the speeds and data volumes offered by StarLink.

1 Like