Water rates – is it time for a rebrand?

My quarterly water rates bill has always been a piece of officiallooking paper that I scan quickly for the ‘Total amount due’ window, pay resentfully and get on with my life. It comes under less scrutiny than my energy bills, maybe because I can directly trace a line from the energy bills to all the useful devices in my home. But ‘water rates’ has always been an abstract concept. This stupid thing again! I think, every time I pin it to my noticeboard.

Then recently a trickle of water started coursing down our street: a trickle that within a few hours became a creek. I was standing out front, looking at it and thinking, tsk, tsk, all that water wasted, when my neighbour pointed out that it was coming from my front garden.

“No! Really?” I said, adamant that I couldn’t possibly be the source of such wanton water wastage. “It’s your water main,” she said. “Call Sydney Water, you fool!”

On closer inspection, I realised she was right. The little tappy thing hiding under bushes in my front garden did seem to be the source of the (now) river. The little tappy thing with numbers on it: ohhhh, so that’s what they mean when they say they need to ‘read the meter’.

I dug out my last bill and called ‘Faults and Leaks’. Forty-eight hours later, the cavalry arrived. When I say ‘the cavalry’, I mean a guy in high vis barely out of his teens. He knocked on my door and politely informed me he would be switching off my water “for a while”. He was so blasé about the concept of switching off my water (as if he were just switching off my porch light) that it didn’t occur to me to fill up the bathtub first – because it’s not until someone turns your water off at the mains that you realise how stupidly convenient modern life is.

You heard it here first (although I have a feeling the Ancient Romans knew this too): fresh running water really is the very essence of civilization. My whole day became a series of ‘I’ll just – oh no I won’t’ moments.

Those loads of washing couldn’t be done, number twos had to be held in, hands could not be washed, and the kettle could not be refilled.

Which was when I had an epiphany about those water-rates bills I’d been paying so blithely and without gratitude. Ohhhh water rates, as in: the water that is supplied to my home 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

It occurred to me then that the quarterly bill could do with a plain English overhaul. ‘Water rates’ sounds like interest rates, sounds like council rates, sounds like parking rates: something you’re just paying because you just have to, as opposed to something you pay because you’re getting something essential supplied directly to your house.

I think ‘Taps and Toilets’ or ‘The endless supply of fresh running water’ would be more eye-catching names for my water bill. I’d pay it promptly – and it would feel like money well spent.

8 Likes

Not sure to be envious or offer sympathy. We have neither reticulated water nor sewage service.

The power going out is a bit of a problem as the big water tank is concrete in ground. It’s a bucket job, but holds more than a bath tub or average backyard pool. There’s still a cost for all the infrastructure required, for power for the pump and to get the septic emptied occasionally. It’s not free either. Although a more limited resource that’s carefully monitored.

The rebrand for public utilities sounds like a great way to emphasise the importance of the limited water resource (tank manager) and value of waste disposal (poo farming).

5 Likes

Soon after moving to Tassie, we noticed what we thought was a trickle of water (maybe 20L/minute) coming from beneath a oak tree on the footpath. We called TasWater to lodge a fault. In the time between TasWater coming out, we had two knocks on the door from passerbys and a text message wondering if her had noticed the water leaks and reported it.

The day after reporting it a local TasWater officer came to see what the problem was. On his arrival he was a bit flustered as it through it was small trickle, and not a steady flow of water. All of a sudden it seemed like panic stations. They had traffic control, vacuum excavator and all work crews there in about an hour. They proceeded to cut the section of damaged pipe and then plug ends before turning the mains back on. Their communication onsite was commendable in relation to water being turned off, what was happening, what the temporary fix was and what the long term fix would be (removal of the tree and reinstatement of the cut out section).

The only negative was after they finished and reconnected the mains, the water was red and silt ladened. We had to run the taps for about an hour to flush the pipes and every so often we still get some silt coming through the pipes (I expect that the mains pipe between the end cap and our connection had residues sitting in the pipe).

Water rates does seem an odd name and it is possible a legacy of when water was a standard fixed charge often included with or on the local council rates. As a lot of reticulated water infrastructure has been moved into GOCs, the way water is charged has changed by the legacy name has remained.

Maybe a simple name change to water charges or water bill would be appropriate.

5 Likes

is it time for a rebrand?

No. As long as people keep on paying on time, what difference does it make?

Perhaps they should start a campaign to get customers to switch over to paying by Direct Debit, so that it comes under even less scrutiny.

I always think … if only it were a “rate”, when in fact the substantial majority of the bill is the fixed service charge, and there is very little financial incentive to care how much you consume (the variable component), despite the fact that we live in the driest continent.

6 Likes

I pay a number of Water Rates bills. One council only charges a water connection fee and provides “8 Units” free, with a charge for excess consumption (which I have never exceeded).

Another charges water usage 3 times a year on the general rates notice. It is included as a line on the rates notice, with another “Invoice - looking” sheet covering the water usage and cost. Many people thought they were separate bills and paid both.

The other Council has hived off their water and sewerage services to a Council owned entity who issues a water rates notice every 6 months, the general rates arrive every 6 months, so every 3 months I get a Rates Notice to be paid. All of them charge 11%pa if you don’t pay by the due date - that’s a big incentive to pay what-ever-its-called on time. Some also offer a “pay by the due date 10% off” or whatever.

Our principal place of residence is rural and so deals with its own water & sewerage.

7 Likes

Ours are called “Water and Sewerage Rates”. Input and output.

5 Likes

You get charged on it as it flows in and charged as it flows out, someone thought of the perfect money making venture didn’t they and implemented it through Councils :smile:

They also complain when you don’t let enough flow through and then complain when you use too much, and then they raise the price for both.

5 Likes

Here is an absolute cracker.

$3,300 per annum for water?