Wall oven review

When we were planning to build a new home in 2012, I checked the prices of Bosch, Siemens and Miele appliances in the UK and Australia and I was truly shocked at the results which I posted on the now defunct Not Good Enough website.

The Australian prices were 2 to 3 times as much as the UK prices after allowing for GST and VAT but excluding freight to Australia.

And as for electrical safety standards, I seriously doubt that the UK would be any lower than Australia, particularly as we adopted a great many standards from them, and both countries use the same voltage and frequency.

3 Likes

A recently updated oven review is now available.

1 Like

If you come across these ovens during the end of year sales, you’re probably better off looking elsewhere:

3 Likes

Where have all the gas ovens and free standing gas oven gas cooktop ranges gone?

When we were looking at our options in the GoodGuys there was a large amount of polite amazement. No, there is no such thing as a freestanding gas oven and cooktop combo. And definitely not in those nice 5/6 burner extra large European designs. Gas top yes. Oven electric, steam, moisture adding and pyrolitic options.

Accusations of heresy aside, I left the store feeling rejected, trendless and unloved. I soon resorted to the Choice reviews and buying guides. Freestanding or wall ovens. No gas!

Plenty of steam powered options, all electric, no coal. And gas cooktops with electric ovens.

Two questions come to mind.

1. What has changed with cooking that says food cooked in a gas oven Is inedible and unsuitable for culinary excellence?

2. Are Australian manufacturers and retailers (in our small market) driving the change away from gas ovens for no other reason than to increase unnecessary replacement of gas ovens and ranges by encouraging a new ‘ontrend’ product?

2 Likes

They are available elsewhere both in Brick and Mortar stores and Online Retailers…maybe the GoodGuys have dropped gas oven and cooktop combos as they are not a big seller…and have decided to only stock dual fuel models.

2 Likes

Possibly.
Thanks for your ideas on alternatives.

We’ve purchased from Appliances Online previously with good service. Since we are looking to upgrade from a 60cm to a 75cm or 90cm unit getting hands on before committing is on the top of the list. Especially given the range of prices, and variable reviews. There is a kitchen mod needed as well to suit.

The Goofguys (oops, Goodguys and girls) sales expert seemed convinced we were asking for a horse and cart option. Usually they give great service, but perhaps it was just the wrong store vs demographic?

Probably need to do the phone around and plan a day out plus half a tank in the car to get to the most likely retailers.

1 Like

Our oven review (member content) is now updated for 2020:

4 Likes

Ovens we think are best avoided in the end-of-financial-year sales:

3 Likes

Cooking for a crowd? Check out these ovens sized 70–90cm, along with some extra tips:

2 Likes

hi again,

im in the midst of a reno, and would appreciate some advice about the choice of oven.

i love pyrolic ovens. if i choose one with this function, would i need to ask an electrician if this will be an issue to run at the property and will it be very expensive to run?

regards

2 Likes

You might get some useful info from this topic about wall ovens. There is another about free standing ones.

Every one I have seen is happy on standard 16 Amp oven circuits. My SMEG SFPA7395X rated at 3100W is on a dedicated circuit with its own breaker/safety switch.

Only when it is in the clean cycle, used at your discretion. I run a clean anywhere from monthly to quarterly. Otherwise it is like any other electric oven. That being written I know nothing about your property :wink: If it has been built in the last 2~3 decades with an electric oven just verify the oven is on an appropriate circuit.

Some may comment a sparky is required to wire in an oven, but that is not the case; many ovens now are plug ins and yours may or may not be. You can have any mod made you need if doing a full out reno.

3 Likes

Thankyou PhilT

I will take a look at your link

Much appreciated

3 Likes

That suggests you are looking at a free standing model. I can move your post there if you wish.

2 Likes

To be honest,

Im basically clueless at this point.

We currently have 2 wonderful bosch wall ovens, but the reno wont allow me to replicate this without sacrificing my pantry space, so I am having to consider placing the oven below an under bench stove cooktop

4 Likes

If you are considering an induction cooktop that would be a bad idea. The induction cooktops need good air circulation to keep their mechanisms from overheating. If you have an oven underneath that will send hot air up and possibly fry your induction cooktop if it is running.

4 Likes

Are you able to verify this comment? I am looking at configurations for my small kitchen that I’m about to renovate. I would like an induction cooktop, the only space to fit the oven looks like directly beneath it. In my research I haven’t yet come across this claim. Can you share some more information?

Looking online there is some information about induction cooktops overheating and ensuring they are installed in accordance with their installation guide to ensure there is adequate ventilation. Maybe when shopping for an induction cooktop, ask to see the installation guide and see what is required if the cooktop is installed directly above an oven.

4 Likes

Your best source of information for that will be the specific manufacturer. There is ‘best practice’ and then there is what is OK as well as apparently common, that works.

An example is most ovens require vented cavities and show the optimal configurations in their installation documents; it does not have to be done exactly like that; some ovens do not require any venting in the cavity but it is still good practice.

Short list some induction cooktops and check the installation manual or ask the manufacturers, not a salesman about oven placement. Some will require more clearance than others and some might state not to do it. Placement could easily affect a cooktop warranty if an oven is installed too close re the specs provided.

https://askinglot.com/can-induction-cooktops-be-installed-over-an-oven

2 Likes

I have a Fisher and Paykel induction cooktop and the instruction that came with it were to make sure there is adequate space underneath, and adequate air circulation to the underside of the cooktop by having at a minimum an air vent(s) to stop overheating. (I am not certain, but the instructions may have also mentioned and extractor fan.) We have a drawers directly underneath with a full width 10mm vent at the bottom of the drawers, but have overheated the cooktop when all five elements have been going.

We now leave at least the top drawer under the cooktop open as well to increase air circulation. Because the partitions either side of the bench below the cooktop are not full height, sometimes in hot weather we also open the cupboard doors either side to allow more air to pass through.

To me it logically follows that if you have an oven producing heat which rises adding to the heat produced by the elements, you may well have problems with overheating. Of course there may be ways of overcoming this with a bespoke installation using an extractor fan and/or insulation built into the cupboard.

Have a look at the installation instructions for the cooktop you are considering to make sure it will work in the configuration you are considering. Also check that the space requirements from the installation instruction for the oven and the cooktop fit into the bench height you have planned.

4 Likes

I have a Miele Pyrolytic Oven that is great in cleaning the internal surfaces but I would like to know if anyone has tried to leave the trays and racks in whilst it is high heat mode. I would normally experiment but at over $400 for a replacement oven tray I don’t want to try it.

Does it ruin the trays with warping? Does it weaken the racks?

Thanks if anyone has knowledge of this type of oven.

2 Likes