Victorian American Imports - Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra MY2007-2008 Recall

A recall notice for Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra MY2007-2008 supplied by Victorian American Imports Pty Ltd due to defective airbags.

Victorian American Imports Pty Ltd — Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra MY2007-2008

PRA No.

2019/17743

Date published

11 Sep 2019

Campaign number

18-0301

Product description

Chevrolet Silverado 2500/3500 Heavy Duty
Model Years 2007-2008

GMC Sierra 2500/3500 Heavy Duty
Model Years 2007-2008

Front passenger side airbag inflators

34 affected vehicles

Identifying features

VIN (Vehicle identification number)

See attached VIN list

VIN List.pdf (86.15 KB)

What are the defects?

Airbag inflator: As it gets older, a combination of high temperatures and humidity can cause the airbag inflator propellant to degrade. If an affected vehicle is involved in a collision triggering the airbag, the metal inflator housing may explode/rupture under too much internal pressure.

What are the hazards?

In the event that a defective airbag inflator ruptures, metal fragments may propel out through the airbag cushion towards the vehicle occupants causing serious injury or fatality.

What should consumers do?

Owners of affected vehicles should contact Victorian American Imports directly by phoning 03 5176 0600 or emailing admin@victorianamericanimports.com to arrange for a replacement airbag inflator free of charge.

We also recommend you visit https://www.productsafety.gov.au/newsletter/subscribe to subscribe to receive updates about current and future recalls as they are published.

Further information for consumers is available at: https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recalls/compulsory-takata-airbag-recall

Supplier

Victorian American Imports

Where the product was sold

Nationally

Dates available for sale

• 1 December 2006 - 1 August 2008

Responsible regulator

Australian Competition and Consumer Commission is the responsible regulator for this recall.

3 Likes

Takata, Takata, Takata…when will we see an end to what appears an almost endless list of vehicles affected. As I have noted before it may be getting easier just to list those that aren’t affected.

2 Likes

And

And why oh why has it taken this long for Victorian American Imports Pty Ltd to announce their recall?

Whatever the excuse, the tardiness suggests the business was either trying to avoid the issue deliberately,
Or
If it was not aware has been negligent in endeavour to ensure their imports were free of the Takata air bag risks,
Or
???

In any instance what does this say about the business and its principals? Can customers consider them to be reliable and trustworthy?

For the wider community purchasing second hand, does a recall ensure your safety. Likely not? Only a 100% audit of every sold vehicle and tracking from import to current owner might provide that assurance.

Our recall system is reliant on current owners to check and recheck to ensure no vehicle slips the net. Is this right and is it good enough?

2 Likes