Victoria '$250 Power Saving Bonus' for Concession Recipients

The Victorian Government has announced a new $250 Power Saving Bonus program for all Victorian households. From 1 July 2022, you can access the new $250 program by visiting the Victorian Energy Compare website and submitting an application. Click here if you would like to receive an invitation to apply when the program opens.

The existing $250 Power Saving Bonus for Concession recipients remains open and is available until 30 June 2022. Before submitting an application for the bonus, please read the eligibility requirements.

Eligibility Requirements for the existing Power Saving Bonus program:

- You must be a Victorian residential energy consumer (i.e. have a residential electricity account).
- You must be receiving payments under one of the following concession programs:
- Centrelink Pensioner Concession
- JobSeeker, Youth Allowance, Austudy or Abstudy
- Department of Veterans Affairs Pensioner Concession
- Or hold a Department of Veterans Affairs Gold Card


Another concession scheme offered by the Victorian Government is the Utility Relief Grant Scheme .You must be a renter and a concession card holder to apply for it . AGL my energy provider did all the paperwork for me . My summer Bill for Electricity was $685 . It was paid by the URGS scheme and left me with a credit of $185 .00 . A worthwhile saving .


Not the only state taking an initiative. Every little bit helps.

‘The $175 Cost of Living Rebate will make life just that little bit easier and brings to $575 the dividends Queenslanders have received over the past four years.
Cost of living rebate on your next power bill - Ministerial Media Statements

Significantly QLD resisted the Commonwealth strategy that encouraged states to sell off assets in return for funding. Not all, but a large portion of generation and all the distribution assets remain in state owned enterprises. It’s not perfect, with accountability arising once every 4 years.


Am I able to stay with my current provider?

My reading is the Victorian ‘bonus’ is separate from switching, so yes you can.

Hope so as on an aged pension

Usually one off payments like this aren’t dependent on changing providers, however, it could be a trigger to ensure you are getting the best deal based in your own usage. Not a bad thing to link the two though.

To confirm I suggest you call the Victorian Government dealing with the rebates on 1800 000 832. Their phones should be manned during normal business hours…so wait until Monday to call to confirm requirements.

As the target audience for the rebates might not be internet savvy/have internet access, hopefully they allow registration over the phone. Also ask them if this is possible and you might be able to do it in the same call if registrations have opened.