Unusual ways you can use household appliances

An old hand held blender does a wonderful job of mixing glazed!

1 Like

I use a leaf blower to clean out the toaster. Those crumbs do not stand a chance. Best done outdoor though as the crumbs go everywhere.

8 Likes

An old boat-builder mate of mine gave me an old, large screwdriver with a square shaft. This allows one to use a shifter/spanner on the shaft to get wonderful leverage when trying to move a very stubborn, large screw (as well as being useful as a lever/weeder etc).

3 Likes

If you use your screwdriver to weed it is a wonder the point retains sufficient shape to hold screws. If the tip won’t grip the slot no amount of torque will help shift a stubborn screw. The more it slips out the more it will chew the screw heads. The tip should be sharp, in the sense (for a standard head screw) the edges are square and clean, not rounded.

As well as being in good shape the driver ought to fit the screw head. It is obvious that a driver blade that is too thick for the slot in the head won’t work but even if it goes in the slot if it is to long it will damage the work. If the blade is too small it will not grip properly and tend to slip out which will damage both blade and screw. One size does not fit all.

If you find and old screwdriver that fits your hand and feels good as a weeding implement leave it out for that purpose and buy a new one (or better still a set) for screws.

2 Likes

The large square shafted screw drivers are referred to as "mechanic’s screw drivers " in the trade . I have a number of them and at $100 plus replacement cost for good quality drivers I would not be using them for weeding .

1 Like

Actually I have never used it for pulling weeds. I’ve only used it for the appropriately-sized screws as I value tools, particularly hand tools, too much. I do own 2 stainless steel weeders (the ones that look a bit like a cobra head with a small fork in the end) that do a wonderful job of getting out weeds!

1 Like

Hair straightener for putting iron-on labels on my son’s school uniforms, with a piece of baking paper to stop the label melting to it. Easier than using a whole big iron for one tiny spot. Also comes in handy for ironing collars, cuffs, and those annoying button plackets.

4 Likes

I use a bread and butter knife like this one…

and find it works a treat. The serated edge is also good for cutting roots.

3 Likes

Thank you WOTD.

2 Likes

Last time I needed to re-dye my jeans, I found that my Anova precision cooker (sous vide) does a great job of maintaining a dye bath at the optimum temperature

2 Likes

Yes i agree i have used the sandwich press for pikelets because it has a lip around the edge. Even though it has rust slightly ithas been used for many years