Unusual ways you can use household appliances

We’ve found some weird uses for your home appliances, from the hairdryer to the sandwich press.

Do you have any unusual uses for your home appliances?

6 Likes

A sandwich press can bake a good pizza!

6 Likes

How do you do it - wouldn’t it be more of a calzone??

4 Likes

I have a dedicated hair dryer for glue removal in tech stuff. Woe betide anyone who takes it to dry “gasp” their hair “gasp”. It remains a dedicated tech tool on the work desk/bench. I also have a larger screwdriver as a weed removal tool (no bending of that sucker when it meets stubborn resistance).

6 Likes

We make personal sized pizza with pita breads. Ours is a Breville 4-slice press just large enough for the pitas we buy. One can also cut the pitas after applying the topping to make them fit better. We keep the lid just above the toppings so it works as much like an oven as a sandwich press.

6 Likes

I use a hair dryer to clean out my computers .

7 Likes

Ahh that’s what I use my mini compressor for, better airflow.

5 Likes

Might check out Repco next week :rofl:

4 Likes

Pumps up tires as well, blowing dust from filters and such other mundane tasks that need doing.

4 Likes

I use our Ryobi + One blower to clean our desktop.

I almost wait for the CPU fan to launch into orbit.

3 Likes

What is this using a blender to make paper?

Instead, save our coal fired power stations producing more pollution and chew it like grandma did. If you think this would be too boring it can be done in front of the TV, like ironing, although you might have trouble getting out the answers on Millionaire inside the time limit. When you show off your artisan paper you can tell people it is truly organic.

2 Likes

Can cook steak also - did that in a place I worked many times, loved seeing the looks on peoples faces when they traced the delightful aroma :wink:

8 Likes

We’ve made pizza with ours many times, works a treat with the lid hovering just above the topping goodness :slight_smile:

We cooked some home grown trout fillets a couple of nights ago for the first time in the sandwich press, yum :slight_smile: Much faster than in the oven or on the BBQ.

8 Likes

LOL Sort of a new way of jaw strengthening perhaps.

3 Likes

I use my leaf blower to clean out the garage. All the sawdust and miscellaneous dust goes out the door, leaving the place relatively dust free. You do need to be careful not to blow all the jars and bottles out as well, but it works well for me!

4 Likes

I used a 2-stroke leaf blower to try and unblock a shower drain once. Once. Didn’t work so well, and the aroma lingered. Plumber did a much better job by conventional (and professional) means :wink:

9 Likes

Try setting it to blow instead of suck.

4 Likes

I have found that old hair dryers are a wonderful aid in getting the charcoal burning well on my Webber oven.

8 Likes

I have not had to try it yet, but my pressure washer has a pipe clearing attachment. It might work a treat or be quite exciting or both. One threads the special hose with its special end into the drain as far as possible and’ lets it rip’. I imagine a firm grasp of the hose is necessary as is a rag to keep the blow back in.

8 Likes

I use my hair dryer to get out creases in my clothes while wearing them. It’s good for jumpers & t-shirts that have been in a drawer for a while, and when you put them on you find a crease across your chest, or something has been hanging in the wardrobe for a while and has a few creases. Quicker than getting undressed, getting out the ironing board and waiting for the iron to heat up then getting dressed again. Not a substitute for for the iron when things have deep creases or are heavily crushed, but a good, quick solution when you’ve put your clothes on and found they could do with a touch-up.

5 Likes