Unsolicited SMSs

Indeed.

1 Like

From the link:

The officer who shot him would not face charges, prosecutors said last April.

This is part of the US problem - law enforcement officials are trained to shoot first and ask questions later, and almost never get charged. I understand that the officer who shot an Australian woman was the first one in that state to have been convicted of murder (in the 3rd degree).

2 Likes

I keep receiving spam text quite frequently I have never known a time in my whole life. I have the message set to block and report. Totally fed up receiving them.

2 Likes

Drum roll. Government is stepping up to enable unsolicited/scam SMS to be blocked, excepting those they send.

The federal government will give telcos more power to identify and block scam texts, but says unsolicited messages sent from political parties are another matter.

The low standards and bi-partisan all-in arrogance from most of our pollices is consistent as well as predictable.

4 Likes

Since the numbers of scamming SMS have gone up considerably in recent months I did an experiment to see if the same origination numbers were used. I did not keep count of the incomings, just checked if any given CallerID send a second (after which I blocked it); of many tens of scamming SMS only a single originating CallerID number sent a second.

All other scamming SMS were ‘single use’. The conclusion is blocking the CallerID might make the recipient feel empowered but it will probably have no or very little bearing on how many scamming SMS get received. Deleting them seems as good as it gets/can be done. :frowning:

3 Likes

Telstra have a Scam Text filtering process in place, they say they have stopped 185 Million scam texts from reaching their customers. A link to a news item on the process:

1 Like

I wonder if that applies to the wholesale customers like Aldi, Woolworths etc.

3 Likes

The number of scam texts I received in recent weeks has dropped dramatically from many per day to one every many days.

Aldimobile - maybe yes?

1 Like