Unsolicited premium SMS scams sneakily draining your mobile credits

I always do that. Some sites let you Cc: yourself but not very many.

2 Likes

The advice to send STOP to the number is correct.
In my particular case i wound up with a $180 bill however by following the correct method ie contacting the Telco, contacting the offending company representative and the Telecommunications Ombudsman, as well as getting a copy of the actual dates and sending numbers all supplied to the above resulted in a satisfactory result.
Frankly the previous system where Premium SMS were disable by default should be reinstated.

8 Likes

100% Agree the default needs to have premium SMS turned off. I went around the same loop 18 months ago for a service that had billed me for simply being sent onto the app on my phone. No request to confirm or accept the service. It took several months and two separate calls to discover that Premium SMS was enabled on my phone. Sorry Telstra. Further these services need to be regulated. If only at the customer to Telco end the Telco is required to independently verify you the customer accept the service. They could do this via a short message requesting you provide an opt in confirmation. This could be generated by a message sent to your Telco from the supposed premium service provider! And rather than your Telco raising a charge on you to do so make your Telco charge the premium SMS service provider regardless of the outcome. Both the premium SMS provider and your Telco are going to make doubly sure you really have signed up in full knowledge of your actions.

My bank sends me an SMS when transactions occur on my card so I can be aware or sure they were correct. It can’t be too difficult Telstra!

Or are our Federal Parlimentarians too busy with more important things like lost personal birth records and expense reports?

2 Likes

Telstra is facing fines of $10 million and refunds to customers who lost money to third party content services that were charged to telephony bills.

The telco has also been forced to disable “premium direct billing” for content services.

During 2015 and 2016, more than 100,000 Telstra customers “unwittingly signed up to subscriptions or charges with third parties, without being required to enter payment details or verify their identity,” the ACCC said.

Customers - particularly children - found themselves signed up to services "without their knowledge or consent”.

When they complained to Telstra, they were directed to the third party provider, which the ACCC alleged made it difficult to claim a refund or cancel the subscription.

The arrangement was lucrative for Telstra, which “earned about $61.7m in net revenue from commissions on premium billing services charged to more than 2.7 million mobile numbers” up until October 2017.

7 Likes

Following on to @Drop_Bear’s post, an outcome. ( Am I imagining this or is there an election coming ? )

6 Likes