Under-rated appliances that have changed your life

Definitely my benchtop Cuisinart combination convection/ steam oven. For around $300 it toasts, grills, bakes, steam bakes , steam grills, proofs bread and dehydrates. It is around the size of a toaster oven but so much more versatile. I liked it so much I bought one for my ex-wife and another for my son. they also rave about it.

4 Likes

It also steams and has a super steam setting and it operates as a sous vide oven as well.

3 Likes

We have two as well and use one every time we need to open a jar. I’ve never understood how these haven’t become more widespread like can openers. I’ve told a lot of people about Jarkeys and they are always amazed by their usefulness. We’ve used them for so long, I’ve pretty much forgotten the struggle we used to have opening some lids.

3 Likes

I love these remote controlled power sockets. It means I can put lamps wherever I like, and not be worried about being able to reach the switch.

I also use one for a Blu-ray player. We have two players of the same brand. The one that is for other region discs is rarely used, but annoyingly flashes its display every time we use the remote for its sibling. The power outlet is at the back of the entertainment unit, and not easy to get at. Having a socket easily turned off is a real boon.

4 Likes

It is old hat now, but I remember when I first bought a PVR, or a new-fangled device that recorded onto disk, with an inbuilt TV tuner, or in my case two.
From there on, I could record TV programs and watch them when I wanted to. And save to watch multiple times, or even copy onto DVD.
And the real bonus, I could with a click of a remote control button, skip all the ads.
Changed my TV viewing forever.

4 Likes

An Avanti Jar Opener costing a few dollars. With arthritic hands, it requires no grip like other devices. It is used like a stubby top lever, releases the seal. Done.

4 Likes

I completely forgot about these, and my LIFX globes which I have all over the house. Its great to be able to turn on a light so one doesn’t have to stumble about in the dark looking for the switch, and this winter, I’ve had the oil heater plugged into a power socket (which also measures power use) and turning it on when I wake, and staying in bed until the kitchen/lounge area warm up, has been a boon!

1 Like

Falling over in the dark can be life changing. More so given our night vision and balance can wane with age.

I’d suggest the LED light globe. They do more than save a fortune in electricity costs. We strategically leave several on (5W) during the night to find our way around the house without being in the dark, for just a few cents per night.

3 Likes

We leave the 2 small LED lights in the rangehood and the LED light in the hallway on 24/7, and with solar and battery, they costs nothing to use.

3 Likes

An ice cream maker. My first one lasted over 15 years but I recently had to replace it (about $100). I don’t have to eat that chemical concoction manufacturers call ice cream, instead I make mine in about 15 minutes with just cream, milk, vanilla, and maple syrup (sugar makes me feel ill). I make endless varieties of flavour with added cacao/coffee/blended fruit/chocolate chips etc.

2 Likes

Yes indeed. Toilet paper (alone) is very unhygienic, We westerners are just used to it.

1 Like

This is very difficult! Here in Kangadgetland we have so many.

bedroom: projection clock. large print, easy to read
bathroom: battery toothbrush; ceramic nail file (lasts a life time)
kitchen: instant read digital thermometer. No longer do we over or undercook; Silicon jar scraper spatula I mentioned before.
living room: we’re PVR/DVR fans

2 Likes

Good for when you don’t want overhead lights, or lamps, on. Might get a battery powered one for the loo.

2 Likes

I automatically reach for my jar key to open any new jar. I’ve also bought them and given them as gifts to friends who didn’t know about them.

5 Likes

Mum bought a Biobidet 1000 seat and it has a dryer and seat warmer functions. She really needed it as she has difficulty reaching to her backside. But they can only be cleaned with pure soap, no cleaning products are allowed. I prefer ceramic seats as they can be sanitized with any cleaning product.

2 Likes

I have tried several times to purchase a hand held vacuum cleaner without success. I have an ancient Kambrook one with inadequate suction and, of course, it never gets used. Please let us know which brand you can’t live without so I can buy one.

4 Likes

We have two, a Dyson and a Kmart cheapy. Both are okay for picking up small spills and removing visible dust from carpet/other surfaces, but come nowhere near to replacing a traditional type vacuum. Battery life is an issue as well as area that can be covered by nozzle/adapters. To do any significant areas is not functional proposition.

We rely on a traditional vacuum (which we have 4) to do most of the heavy lifting, and the handhelds for a touch up in between full vacuums. I don’t know if we would buy another handheld as the convenience possibly doesn’t match their price.

4 Likes

It’s a Hoover @pjturner2008
It suits me, but that doesn’t mean it would do the same for you. :laughing:

3 Likes

Gosh. And there I was thinking I was weird, having 3. But then, different vacs for different purposes. I’ve been disappointed for years that there’s no one vac for all jobs.

3 Likes

I suppose there could be one for upstairs, one for down stairs, one for the garage, one for bathroom duty, one for chasing the spiders, one for collecting the leaves, one for …. :rofl:

Most stick vacs including the Dyson double as a handheld. The Dyson is manageable for weight. That’s all we need inside. All our floors are timber, with wet areas tiled and thin rugs next to the beds.

There is a second vac in our home. A wet and dry for out doors, verandahs etc.

3 Likes