'Uncool' foods

I learnt from someone with a little more Asia heritage than I, that they can be quite acceptable. Add any leafy green to hand after adding the boiling water to blanch or reduce. Crispy is ok for most anyway. Plus the egg, and if to hand finely sliced cold cooked meat from the leftovers, spring onions and an extra dash of kekap manis! (Ketchup mania according to the Apple auto correct, :rofl:)

Go short on the water and microwave, keeping the residual water with zero waste.

Totally cool and creative!

7 Likes

:laughing: Well I guess I have my answer, perhaps I’m in the wrong thread after all

7 Likes

Lemon sago pudding is a great dish, I won’t have a word said ag’in it. Lots of lemon zest and juice and just enough sugar to make it sweet but not sickly, then serve with homemade semi-fredi and the guests with any taste will come back for more. Don’t spread the word or the influencers will call it the next superfood and the price of sago will go up.

Spam on the other hand …

5 Likes

I really love steamed dimsims!

You can get a whole bag of frozen dimsims for super cheap at Aldi and they’re quick and simple to heat up. Love it!

I feel like these are perhaps cool for takeaway but I don’t know a single other person who has the frozen sort!

9 Likes

I do! At Coles, they sell $2 boxes of frozen (mini) beef dim sims and used to be able to get a chicken version via IGA…

4 Likes

The Zerella Spud Lite low carb potatoes from major supermarkets are stunning. Extremely well behaved no matter how they are cooked. Possibly overlooked because of the “low carb” marketing that would only attract certain shoppers, but they taste great and perform well.

5 Likes

iced vo vo with neapolitan ice cream and sweetened condensed milk on its own.

As for savoury - those small pickled onions and the little red sausages? What are they called again?

6 Likes

Cocktail onions

Cheerios/Little Boys/Cocktail Frankfurt

4 Likes

Yes, Spam as well as;
Frozen sausage rolls, quiches, meat pies, ice cream.
Also plain, full cream milk. Mini packets of potato chips, milk chocolate.
Mini swiss rolls.

6 Likes

You must be doing it all wrong :wink: Perhaps old-fashioned, but it is due for a comeback- get in early while it’s cool to eat!

Chilled in the fridge for even more coolness, I find it goes great with home grown fresh or preserved fruit like apricots or cherries :cherries:, or even bananas :banana:, with or without ice cream.

SPAM was mentioned… can that even be classed as food? :wink:

7 Likes

My wife’s nothing in the fridge fast food is Nongshim Shin Ramyun Spicy Korean instant noodles + egg + leafy green + shredded carrot + more (depending what’s in the fridge). I think there’s a pack in her desk drawer at work.

5 Likes

Are you sure those foods aren’t staples?

We’ve needed to do a fridge and pantry clean out after each of our single sons have been staying in our town house. The list looks all too familiar.

Add UberEats or DeliveRoo for a complete and balanced diet.

Cool or a Uncool?

P.s.
They can cook. Perhaps it is now all home prepared and cooked food that is uncool!

5 Likes

We lived in Belmore in Sydney before moving to Tamworth - Dimmy Heaven lol. Campsie is full of asian grocers selling all sorts of different dim sims (and the rest of the yum cha family). There was also a couple of “finger food” specialty stores where you could buy different varieties hot to eat now or frozen packs to heat later. Everything was heaps cheaper than any main supermarket so we always had a heap in the freezer - my wife’s favourite was the pork buns but I loved the dim sims and spring roll varieties. Have a search around the area you live or surrounding towns if in the regions, you could be surprised what you find.

Gimme dem dimmy’s - steamed of fried, or mix of both :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

When I think of ‘uncool’ I tend to think of the 70’s and some of my faves from that era were those little cubes of Devon/fritz/bung/polony (depending on which state you’re in), a cube of cheese and a little cocktail onion all skewered on a toothpick. I seem to remember them being stuck into an orange to make a ‘porcupine’. My mum always made these for those ‘take a plate’ occasions.
Prawn cocktail was another of my faves which I understand is very uncool these days. While I didn’t get to eat it very often at all, lobster mornay, tornados rossini and fillet mignon also make my list of things now considered uncool. I was a waitress in a restaurant serving all of these dishes in those days, and as staff we got a major discount on these dishes.

7 Likes

Iceberg lettuce. So crunchy! So 70s!

9 Likes

Cocktail frankfurts! Reminds me of my birthday parties when I was a kid. Served with a bowl of tomato sauce and toothpicks for dipping.

6 Likes

True. I would take more notice of a Ferengi than Gul Dukat any day!

4 Likes

Condensed milk.

Sucked from the tube, poured from the tin straight into the mouth, or boiled for a hour or two (until it caramelises) and licked off a finger. Multi-purpose.

8 Likes

I have a penchant for French brie and Danish blue - luckily the local stocks imported cheeses.

7 Likes

Big Macs. Yes, those ones. They really do taste good, even my Golden Arches-eschewing partner admits it. And, according to the separate fast food thread at the moment, are deeply uncool. There, I’ve said it.

6 Likes